Error Code P0133

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rnickell

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Check engine light came on with error Code P0133 Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response. Autozone reset and light now off. The car idles and runs great. Thinking the light will come on again if there is a real problem. During this time had the clock spring and windshield replaced. Not sure if this is related to error code.

Any suggestions before I replace the O2 sensors?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

MIK: Maybe tyhis owners experience will help you decide:
"My wife was pulling out the other day and the CEL came on. She told me about it the next day by saying "oh, a little orange light came on the other day". I test drove it for about a mile and couldn't tell any difference in driveability. Took it to O'Reilly's and had them pull the code for me. It returned with po133 Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response - Bank 1 Sensor 1. Of course, O'Reilly's will not clear a code for you to see if it's a one time code or not. Today went to my old place of employment's shop and one of the mechanics pulled the code again and cleared the code. Been driving it all day, stopping and starting it and it hasn't thrown the code again. Glad I waited and didn't take it to the dealer. It would have been an automatic replacement of the O2 sensor."
A few weeks later he said: "Been almost 3 weeks and no CEL or code thrown. One time deal?"
And I have never seen him post a similar report since. So it may be worth a try

Last edited:
Thanks for that tip. I erased the DTC and have driven and restarted car (2004) several times today and it has not reappeared.

Mechanics on the Internet say there are a only a few things the P0133 Code can be. And since two will make it throw another code quickly, their suggestion for the first time it ever throws a code P0133 is to take no other action then reset it and start driving again. If is the O2 Sensor or an issue with the MAF, it will definitely throw the code again soon enough. Most of the time there are no drivability signs.

Code 0133 - This code indicates the engine air fuel ratio is not being adjusted by the oxygen sensor signal or the ECM as expected to do so, or not adjusted as often as expected to do so once the engine is warmed or under normal engine
use.

A code P0133 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
1) The wiring to the sensor is broken or frayed
2) The oxygen sensor is actually faulty
3) There is an exhaust leak
4) There is an intake leak (air coming in other then past the MAF)

Solutions:
First and foremost is to reset the code and see if it comes back. Here is again that reason to own an OBD II Handheld or OBD II Dongle that works with a Tablet or Smart Phone.
If the Code throws again, it is usually the Bank 1 O2 sensor but don't forget to also check the following:
Disconnected, broken, or frayed wiring
Check and fix any air inlet leaks
Check and fix any exhaust leaks
Check for an intermittent or contaminated O2 sensor
Check the MAF sensor for proper operation or if it is gummed up or needs cleaned

it will come back.

Not a given, maybe yes maybe No. our 2002 had a P0133 four years ago and hadn't had one since.

Our 2003 Expedition had one in 2008 and I reset it. It did have a second one in 2013. I reset that one also, and no P0133 since. The problem with this Code is that just normal driving activity, load, and weather conditions can cause the EEMC to think for a second that the Air mixture isn't correct for conditions so it throws the code. It is when you have to reset it every time you drive or once a week that something is wrong and needs to be found.

Just my experience with P0133.

agree, that was my plan, if it keeps coming back, resolve it, don't just delete it. Thank you.

I've had a "check engine light" come on a couple of times in last 2 years. Both times it was code for the forward oxygen sensor. I just reset it and it goes away. It's been off close to a year now, don't plan on doing anything about it till it starts making a regular return.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back