E-Z Top

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another question: how difficult would it be to store the hardtop on its cart once it been lifted off the body and the Tbird moved out of the way? Could 2 people do this or would a 3rd be needed to work the manual lift? Would the top have to be lowered to the ground first?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Have not tried putting the top on the carrier yet but I dont think it would be
all that difficult. It would take some thought as when hung the top is a
balanced work of art.

I would think you would simply lower the
top all the way down alinging the rear
with the carrier as normal. One person would have to hold the front of the top while the other released the arms and then raised the
lift. Then both people could lift and position the top with ease.

By the way, I was able to put the hard top on today, alone in approx, 4 mins. (I do have the electric model, but this was the first time. PS. make sure you lean the seats forward before you start lowering. A small thing but important.

The arms do intrude into the seats
space and although the top would
probably be able to put into position
why not avoid the risk of damage.

Got my top hoist from EZTop (www.Eztop.com) recently. Just finished installing it and it works really nice. This system is really well made and this model is especially engineered for the 2002 TBird. It took me about 4 hours total, and the instructions are very good. If you are not comfortable with locating studs and ceiling joints you might want to get a good carpenter to install it for you, but if you have any handyman skills it is not too hard.

My first time to have the hard top off. The convertible top and the tonneau cover worked just fine. Also got to drive it top down for a bit before this next spate of bad weather.

------------------
VIN 106587 White, White, with chrome hood scoop bezel

I haven't seen the answer to the question about the lift being out of the way of the garage door opener. Has anyone noticed that this causes a problem?

hot'02, I had a discussion with Bruce McMorris of TopCapLift about this subject and he relayed the following
Regarding the points in the ceiling that the lift attaches. After you
back the car into the garage you want to be able to position your body
behind the rear of the car 15-18 inches so you can operate the manual
lift. Our lifts are 2 line lifts so it goes up level and doesn't turn
about one point. The farthest attachment to the ceiling is a point a few
inches in front of the port holes on the top. The rear line is 39 inches
behind the front or just rear of the top. The farthest extension of the
top lift is at the front edge of the top itself.
I made the measurements and convinced myself that it should easily clear the garage door mechanism - and I have a very short garage. Now that I have the top off and stored away, however, I don't feel as urgent a need to get the hoist in place.
smile.gif

The EZTop clears my garage door opener OK. The instructions call for mounting the attachment point 36 inches behind the open edge of the door. Even with the lifting rack in the "open" position, which causes the rack to be a bit wider, it clears the door opener. I "stowed" the rack, that is, put it near the ceiling, in the open position.

------------------
VIN 106587 White, White, with chrome hood scoop bezel

I didn't think I would use the EZ-Top
lift very often, but since it is so easy
that I have had the top on and off 3 times
this month.
I would never have thought I would do that
much converting.
"Somtimes you just feel
like a top and sometimes you don't"

Received e-mail from Emil tonight. I ordered an E-Z Top on 02/05/02. He said that at this point in time that they were still filling January orders and that I was about #70 on the list. Said it would be about ready in 4 +/- weeks. Told him no problem, the wait for the top is nothing like it was for the Bird. This is just for info if anybody is considering ordering one of these tops.

ok EZtop is highly recommended and expensive. Has anyone purchased the electric lift from topcap at $279?

------------------
neiman vin#00035
delivered October 4, 2001

biggrin.gif
Yes I have one. If you like I can email you pics of it.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

what is your opinion? my wife who is 5'-1", barely heavier than the hardtop and has some joint pain, tells me not to count on her to help with top removal/replacement anymore. I don't make the change very often and don't want to spend $800 if $300 solves the problem. Don't expect to store top in lift unless I'm certain no long term damage will result. any opinions cheerfully accepted.

------------------
neiman vin#00035

The top can be a chore to take off and on. We can and have done it but the hoist makes life a lot easier. And no I wouldn't leave the top stored on the hoist for a long period of time. I don't think it matters with either hoist you would buy. The top hoist would or may leave marks on the weather striping and the EZ hoist from what I've read here can pull your headliner lose from the port hole windows, this is just what I've heard from reports on this board. I don't think either one is for premanent storage, but they will help get the top off and then lower it to the floor so you can use the stand to store it on.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies

so that means you would recommend the cheaper option? In other words you are not unhappy with your purchase? thanks for the input.

------------------
neiman vin#00035

biggrin.gif
Yes, I am well satisfied with what I have. Like I said I could Email pics of mine installed if you would like to see them, but I need an email address that you could send me thru my email if you like.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies

Originally posted by Gobird:
biggrin.gif
Yes, I am well satisfied with what I have. Like I said I could Email pics of mine installed if you would like to see them, but I need an email address that you could send me thru my email if you like.

Pics of the TopCap lift are in the accessories folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back