E Code - do I need a new transmission?

John Hayman

John Hayman

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My new for two weeks 2003 has an e code and a bad tyranny. Help me, as the dealer said I bought as is. What is the repair on this

My local Ford dealer says I need a new transmission. Do I? I have read many posts about the E code, but none that really sounded like the perfect answer. I hate to unnecessarily pour money into a car that I just purchased.

My new for two weeks 2003 has an e code and a bad tyranny. Help me, as the dealer said I bought as is. What is the repair on this
I went to the Ford dealer who suggested a $4000 rebuilt transmission. Today I went to Vernon's Transmission and he thinks he can correct the problem for $800. What do you all think?

Well, today I dropped off and later picked up my car from Vernon's Transmission. He replaced the solonoid and valve (updated to steel valve from aluminum). Made it all the way home without the E code. Yeah!

A performance/durability upgraded version of the 5R55S transmission can be bought for $3500 from multiple sources. Why would you put a stock transmission back in your car?

Thanks for the advice. So far, the $750 repair is doing well.

It's almost been a year, how's the tranny holding up @John Hayman?
I was referred to a man who had done twenty of the 5th gear valve defect repairs (on Birds and Lincolns). It is fine, and thanks for thinking of me. 1500 miles ago, my rear axle started whining. Tomorrow, I am going to a serviceman that the transmission man recommends to hopefully get me fixed.

I was referred to a man who had done twenty of the 5th gear valve defect repairs (on Birds and Lincolns). It is fine, and thanks for thinking of me. 1500 miles ago, my rear axle started whining. Tomorrow, I am going to a serviceman that the transmission man recommends to hopefully get me fixed.
The rear-end guy thinks I have a bad bearing and is going to work on it April 23. Will let you know.

From time to time my 2003 drive indicator shows a E, instead of D5 or D4 .. what is it telling me?

Last edited by a moderator:
From time to time my drive indicator shows a E, instead of D5 or D4 .. what is it telling me?
If you have a 2002-2005. I believe you will find the transmission is like the engine computer controlled, the E means a error has been detected. Most transmission shops will read it for you free. The Ford dealer will do it also for less than $100 and likely to load the latest software at the same time.

If you have a 2002-2005. I believe you will find the transmission is like the engine computer controlled, the E means a error has been detected. Most transmission shops will read it for you free. The Ford dealer will do it also for less than $100 and likely to load the latest software at the same time.
Thanks, my Bird is a 2003 and runs great and the e only show up every now and then. I did have a check engine light due to a bad coil, the E started shortly after that. BTW, I’m a old Texas Boy from Abilene/San Angelo.

Thanks, my Bird is a 2003 and runs great and the e only show up every now and then. I did have a check engine light due to a bad coil, the E started shortly after that. BTW, I’m a old Texas Boy from Abilene/San Angelo.
Then you will know about Christoval on on the south Concho where I will be taking my bird Sept 6... look me up at **** and phone me and I can go into detail about Transmission codes.

From time to time my drive indicator shows a E, instead of D5 or D4 .. what is it telling me?
My 2004 popped an “E” code last summer, and it turned out to be the 2-5 servo. The car had stopped shifting into second but would eventually jump to third gear. My dealer friends joked that “E” stood for expensive . Had the servo replaced and the transmission has operated beautifully ever since. It wasn’t overly expensive (about $1,100 CDN), and I hope your issue isn’t, either.

2005 with 46k miles has run great for 3+ years. Stopped at light to make a turn when it wouldn't accelerate, then started jerking. Noticed E code where shift indicator on dash....also check engine light came on.

I live in Asheville, NC- poorly rated Ford dealer and haven't found a reliable transmission shop....suggestions?

My auto trans has been acting up and then there was a E code in place on dash. Where it would say P R D5 anyone know isn there a module or sensor out? There also is not transmission check dipstick. Thought E might mean empty 2002 thunderbird here. Thank you if you can help anything from experience is a real blessing. U drive car brisk but not hard - thanks in advance

Back when these cars were new, this was fairly common in 2002 and 2003 models. The problem was usually a bad valve body on the transmission. I had less than 1.000 miles on mine when it went down. Repair was made under warranty.

Hello everyone,

I just bought my beautiful 2003 Thunderbird in January. Immediately thereafter, it started giving me the transmission error “ E” that we all know and despise.
I brought it to the nearest Ford dealer, who passed it along from technician to transmission guy to floor supervisor/whatever and their final determination….. replace the entire transmission.
They say they can’t find the automatic transmission valve body on the market to replace it, so the only option is complete replacement. I was hoping you all may have some suggestions on how I should proceed. I bought a CarShield warranty when I got the T-Bird, so they’re going to assess the situation and decide whether to pay for it or not.
Thank you for your help!

Back