Doug Demuro Gives Unflattering Review of 02-05's

I watched the review and was not impressed. He basically sneered at the Tbird and his review consisted mostly of "see, I sneered at it, so it can't be any good", but completely overlooked the larger issues with the car that a potential buyer would be interested in knowing. He starts out mentioning that it was the Motortrend car of the year when it first came out, then also mentions that the PT Cruiser was the Motortrend car of the year the preceding year, as though to imply "but what do they know!?". Well, they know the results of comprehensive performance and handling testing that they did (and which Doug has not at all done, beyond taking it for a short drive). What Motortrend said when they explained why the Thunderbird was named car of the year was that, although the Thunderbird had not taken first place in any of the several types of testing they had put all of the cars through, it was so close to the top in almost every type of test that they were very impressed and named it car of the year based on its impressive performance and not based on its styling, although they were impressed by the styling as well. Having owned my 2005 since new, now with 265,000 miles on it, I am much more qualified to comment on it as a car than Doug is and would say it is unusual for being a two seat sportscar that is also an outstanding freeway cruiser (I've done 800 miles a day three days straight without feeling beat up or rushed), yet is agile on twisty turny roads and also has a five star crash test rating. It is also unusual in that, like vintage Thunderbirds, it is not only sporty, but also fairly elegant, appealing to anyone from eight year olds to eighty year olds (whereas Mustangs and Corvettes would have a more limited appeal). I agree with his statement that the trunk is smallish, but anyone can see that at a glance. True, I am a Thunderbird fan (have a '59 also), but would not speak highly of mine if it hadn't earned my appreciation (those Thunderbirds of the '70's and "80's never impressed me). My main conclusion from watching Doug's review is that I wouldn't bother looking for a review from him on any other car I might be interested in as he doesn't seem to know how to make a substantitive, objective car review.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

In 2002 when the Retrobirds came out, my wife and I were just out of college, still dating, months away from being engaged. She needed a new car, because her little old Honda was starting to show its miles. Everyday for work, she drove past a ford dealership with a metallic thunderbird blue one on a pedestal. I went with her to test drive it. Of course neither of us could it afford it, and it wasn’t the least bit practical. But she fell in love with it. I wished I could by it for her.

But she settled on a practical, cheap, VW Jetta that turned out to be a POS. And for the next 15 some odd years drove a work car, or mini vans hauling kids, spotting tbirds from time to time, and pointing them out. For the last 10 years she has always had a nice new mini vans, but stayed in love with the retrobirds.

This past mother’s day we were having lunch at her parents, where I had happened to stash an ‘03 Tbird with a custom teal paint job, 80k miles, with her name on the title in the garage. Grandma was so excited she kinda blew the surprise a bit, but it was a glorious memory that I’ll always cherish. Cheapest car I ever bought at $10k, by far the most fun and exciting. We still have a van for the whole crew, but now everybody fights to be able to ride shotgun in moms tbird. The chrome on the door handles are peeled, the brakes where in need of a job, I’d like to replace the whole suspension (and probably will), and the soft top is starting to come apart. I’ve already put $5k into the thing. But it’s everybody’s favorite, including myself. Sorry this critic missed out on the fun/cool factor with the retro birds. His loss.

Happy Wife, Happy Life! ;)

I watched the review and was not impressed. He basically sneered at the Tbird and his review consisted mostly of "see, I sneered at it, so it can't be any good", but completely overlooked the larger issues with the car that a potential buyer would be interested in knowing. He starts out mentioning that it was the Motortrend car of the year when it first came out, then also mentions that the PT Cruiser was the Motortrend car of the year the preceding year, as though to imply "but what do they know!?". Well, they know the results of comprehensive performance and handling testing that they did (and which Doug has not at all done, beyond taking it for a short drive). What Motortrend said when they explained why the Thunderbird was named car of the year was that, although the Thunderbird had not taken first place in any of the several types of testing they had put all of the cars through, it was so close to the top in almost every type of test that they were very impressed and named it car of the year based on its impressive performance and not based on its styling, although they were impressed by the styling as well. Having owned my 2005 since new, now with 265,000 miles on it, I am much more qualified to comment on it as a car than Doug is and would say it is unusual for being a two seat sportscar that is also an outstanding freeway cruiser (I've done 800 miles a day three days straight without feeling beat up or rushed), yet is agile on twisty turny roads and also has a five star crash test rating. It is also unusual in that, like vintage Thunderbirds, it is not only sporty, but also fairly elegant, appealing to anyone from eight year olds to eighty year olds (whereas Mustangs and Corvettes would have a more limited appeal). I agree with his statement that the trunk is smallish, but anyone can see that at a glance. True, I am a Thunderbird fan (have a '59 also), but would not speak highly of mine if it hadn't earned my appreciation (those Thunderbirds of the '70's and "80's never impressed me). My main conclusion from watching Doug's review is that I wouldn't bother looking for a review from him on any other car I might be interested in as he doesn't seem to know how to make a substantitive, objective car review.
Testify!

In watching Doug's review, it is very apparent that he does not know a lot about cars. He does have an opinion like all of us, some like it some do not. It is not a utility vehicle.

In watching Doug's review, it is very apparent that he does not know a lot about cars. He does have an opinion like all of us, some like it some do not. It is not a utility vehicle.
You are joking right. He has driven 1000's of cars He owns a 2005 Ford GT. He has been very honest about that car's quirks and features. When you have driven that many, sat in that many drivers seats, you have a lot of experience to draw on. I just think a lot of people here are butt hurt because he was not overly favorable to the cars that we own. But let's face it. This car was close to 40 grand when it came out and used the same switches that was used in the Ford Taurus.

I didn't see this post back in September. Just watched it today. Like a lot of other folks, I bought this car knowing about the "cons" and disadvantages. I had owned two Lincoln LS previously, and I was aware of the criticisms that Ford had essentially recycled the interior. I knew about the COP problem (which thankfully he didn't mention).

At this stage, I believe anyone who buys a retro bird should have done their research, and know "WHY" they're buying it--taking into account all of the "pros" and "cons". There aren't many secrets here. Plenty of information exists on this forum and elsewhere to help drive a well-informed decision. In that regard, I can't say I disagree with many of his points.

But here's what I kept thinking as I listened to this guy . . . Now that "Big Bang Theory" is finished, they finally found something new for Sheldon to do.

Penny! Penny! Penny!

The retro birds are an eclectic slice of the car hobby and not everybody (heck very few) "get it"....its a mid-powered, funky cruiser and making no pretenses to being a hot rod or day racer. Performance zealots (and most of my Corvette pals fall in that camp) don't find the car impressive.

I actually like the fact that a lot of folks don't care for it and they can stick to their econoboxes and over-priced modernized muscle cars with all the computerized "nannies" to keep dumb drivers out of trouble..

My other car is a 1963 split window Corvette; it gets bad reviews too.. E.g. - can't see out the back window, etc..

You are joking right. He has driven 1000's of cars He owns a 2005 Ford GT. He has been very honest about that car's quirks and features. When you have driven that many, sat in that many drivers seats, you have a lot of experience to draw on. I just think a lot of people here are butt hurt because he was not overly favorable to the cars that we own. But let's face it. This car was close to 40 grand when it came out and used the same switches that was used in the Ford Taurus.
I do not know how many cars he has driven, so he owns a Ford GT, does that make him an expert?
I do not know what he may know about other cars, BUT he sure does not know the Thunderbird.
Maybe the next time he should read the owners manual first. I do not know about your owners manual but mine is four different books that have color covers and there is a CD also.
He annoys me the way he keeps bobbin and weaving when he talks.
He complains about the car only having two seats and complains the car is too big, but thinks the truck is too small.
He just does not get IT. The car is a retro of the 1955-57.

Just bought my 2005 Bronze T-Bird with 57,000 miles on it in November of this year. Love my car and I really don't care what kind of reviews it gets. I drove over 3 hours one way to see the car. Then I made a return trip to drive the car home after purchasing it. A total of 12 hours on the road for this car. Was it worth it? Certainly was. I got quite a few "thumbs up" from other drivers on the road when I was driving it home which certainly surprised me.
Any car has good points and bad points. It all depends on seeing it through a different set of eyes. My eyes see it as a great car and that's all that matters to me!

I got quite a few "thumbs up" from other drivers on the road when I was driving it home which certainly surprised me.

Since purchasing my bird in October, I too have experienced the same from onlookers. I clearly seem them turning their heads to watch my bird drive by. Then there's been admirers on a regular basis who praised it's looks when I'm stopped and out of the bird. They react like they've never seen the retro bird before.

But then, I think I read in another thread here only 70,000 were made during the three year span of its production. I speculate a small percentage of that 70K no longer exists - wrecked/totaled, etc., making that number even less....spread across the nation (and world? I don't know anything about the retro bird's international sales) , so I guess they really are a rare bird.

Last edited:
I just joined the forum. I had come across this video a few weeks go. Endured it for a while. Got tire of watching him flail his arms around. Have now decided to buy a 2002 red Thunderbird with 7K miles, Ford dealer owned since day 1, with warranty. I test drove it, fell in love with the sound of the V8. Will post pics. Thanks Doug.

Back