Disapointed with rear deck chrome kit | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Disapointed with rear deck chrome kit

• Thread starter Thread starter Dave C
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would have liked it to be wider. Pretty thin.

Looks 'OK' ... but sure does not look like $100+ w/shipping & tax.

$29.95 + S&H would seem to have been a gracious plenty for this.

🙁

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

jordsdad said:
even though it is thin, do you think it will work. can you see the strip with the hardtop on the car?

Gary, It was made as narrow as possible so you really have to look for it with the top on. Yes, it is thin... I think it's .020 or about the thickness of five sheets of paper but its stainless steel and is very hard and tough and it does the job.

My top stays off. The stainless strip adds a nice look, if you like it, but I wouldn't use the stainless unless you put the top on & off frequently. Then you wouldn't have to mess with the clear Ford mylar strips.

Last edited:
Stainless Steel Strip

I actually should have typed 'narrow' rather than thin. The scuffing present on the brand new 'Bird at passenger's side rear was not even covered by the strip and the scuffing does not exist all that far out.

I would personally not at all mind the chrome strip showing with the top on either as I think a chrome band outside of the top would not look bad.
It will definitely help scuffing within its width.

The fact remains that the cost of this strip kit (there REALLY isn't much there!) is out of kilter with what you receive. It is, however, darn easy to install.

The good part is that I live in Jacksonville, Florida where I can keep the top off pretty much year round!

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
The strip should have covered the whole area subject to scuffing. You didn't overlap it hanging over the inside did you? I have never seen these but heard you want it back a bit to make sure the soft top doesn't get frayed by the thin edge of the strip - that would happen if you overhang it. If the one side doesn't cover the area subject to scuffing ask them for another piece. "George" has worked with QAA and he swears by them... He should be checking in here any day now and maybe he has some insight into this.

I just installed them on my wifes Black bird. She wanted the top put back on after being off for several months.

Very easy to install.

Fit is very good. It could be wider, but then you would see it with the top on. Plus, it would be much more pronounced with the top off.

I too thing it's a little over priced....but what else can you do.

Word to the wise...When you install the strips and want to press it down. DON'T run you bare finger along the length of it to press it down. There are some sharp edges on the strips and will cut you finger. Use a soft cloth. Guess how I found this bit of information out??

Dave

Rear Deck Strip

Quickdraw said:
The strip should have covered the whole area subject to scuffing. You didn't overlap it hanging over the inside did you? I have never seen these but heard you want it back a bit to make sure the soft top doesn't get frayed by the thin edge of the strip - that would happen if you overhang it. If the one side doesn't cover the area subject to scuffing ask them for another piece. "George" has worked with QAA and he swears by them... He should be checking in here any day now and maybe he has some insight into this.

Quickdraw,

No, I did not let it overhang but I did mount it flush with the edge. The scuffing on passenger's side rear extends out about twice the width of the strip. If I had covered that, the inside gap would have looked pecular. The fit, indeed, is darn good.

George, if you read this I would be appreciative of your help. Thanks!

Dave C

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm here.....Let me fill you in on some of the history. The original strips they were selling went out to the third tail light. They looked hideous with the hardtop on. QAA wanted to use my car as the model, so when we redesigned them, we went by the scuff marks on my deck area. That's why these strips are 7/16" wide. I have 2000+ miles on with the hardtop and no issue.
Expensive? You bet, but the laser cutting process is as well. Somewhere in a previous thread, I suggested using a fine emery paper on the edges prior to installation, then polishing rags will not snag on the strips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back