1962 convertible top deck lock screws binding/alignment

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
R

Rob C

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am have been have pretty much all functions on my top working. Pump, hoses, cylinders, all replaced. Put in the electronic rely system from Drax. makes testing a breeze. Only hang up now seems to be the alignment of the deck lock screws. They seem to bind up. That stops every thing. Problem maybe that when it was painted the put the rear deck lid a bit out of line. Has this happened to anybody? I would take it to a TOP guy if anyone knew of someone near Cleveland who has worked on these. Any ideas. Thanks

I am assuming that the paint guy aligned the decklid gaps so that you do not want to alter the decklid so that leaves the screw receptacle. That can be loosened and maybe even adjusted from the wheel wells. The receptacle can be disassembled and cleaned up. Try this video even though it is not for a 62
If you do want to realign your decklid and have another person...remove the spare tire and with the top up and wrench in hand disconnect the decklid pistons at the top, climb in the trunk and have the decklid lowered down over you. Loosen the decklid bolts and have the other person shift the decklid into proper position for the receptacles and then retighten the decklid bolts, open the decklid, reconnect the pistons, and remember to climb out of the trunk

Maybe just some white Lithium grease? Non staining and non hardening.
I am assuming that the paint guy aligned the decklid gaps so that you do not want to alter the decklid so that leaves the screw receptacle. That can be loosened and maybe even adjusted from the wheel wells. The receptacle can be disassembled and cleaned up. Try this video even though it is not for a 62
If you do want to realign your decklid and have another person...remove the spare tire and with the top up and wrench in hand disconnect the decklid pistons at the top, climb in the trunk and have the decklid lowered down over you. Loosen the decklid bolts and have the other person shift the decklid into proper position for the receptacles and then retighten the decklid bolts, open the decklid, reconnect the pistons, and remember to climb out of the trunk

Thanks. That is great advice. I will get someone to help. And let me out of the trunk!

An easier way than climbing into the trunk is to loosen the screws on the receptacles just loose enough for them to slide under tension. Close the deck lid tightly which should cause the receptacles to "self align". Open the deck lid and securely tighten the screws on the receptacles.

Back