2003 Shocks & springs upgrade with Jaguar Parts

K
Last seen
I've had my '03 since 2011. It's got 15000 miles on it now, so obviously I don't drive it much. This year I decided it needs to be driven more, so it's getting use as my daily driver. I commute 25 miles (40 km) each way to work, with about 5 miles of that in city traffic, and the rest on rural roads.

I've never liked the suspension much on this car. Basically it does nothing well. I find the car to be over spring and under damped. I know, Ford wanted it to be a "relaxed cruiser", whatever that means. I had considered replacing the shocks with Lincoln LS sport shocks, but the rear shocks are unobtainable. So, what do do?

I spend some time cruising the LS forms. A guy on that forum replaced his shocks with units from the Jaguar S-type, so I started looking into that. Since the t-bird, LS and S-type are all built on the same platform, it should be a straight bolt-on swap with Jaguar parts. Nope. The spring perch on the front shocks is a different size, so the springs won't sit properly on the front shocks. This guy replaced the front springs with ones for the S-type. I also read that Ford spec'd the t-bird springs to be softer than either the LS or S-type.

I don't like the idea of having stiffer springs only on the front. It seems to me that would upset the handling and the car would be squirrely to drive. So if I'm going to go that route, I'd want to replace the shocks and springs in front and back. So I headed over to terrysjag.com to put together a parts list. Here it is:

Rear - Part Jaguar Part Number
  • Spring Packer MJA2162AA
  • Spring Isolator C2Z15891
  • Damper Gaiter C2P3211
  • Spring XR811174
  • Bilstein B4 Shock Bilstein part 24-026628
  • Spring, damper mount XR858419
Front - Part Jaguar Part Number
  • Spring Packer MJA2162AA
  • Spring Isolator C2Z15891
  • Damper Gaiter C2P3211
  • Bilstein B4 Shock Bilstein part 24-024921
  • Spring, damper mount XR858419
  • Spring XR835298
Note that these parts are for a 2001 S-type. Jaguar changed the front shock bottom mounting sometime during 2002, and this will not fit the t-bird or LS.

The Jaguar parts are kind of expensive. Each shock retails for around $400, so I wanted alternatives. The part numbers for the shocks are for Bilstein aftermarket parts. I found them on Rock Auto for about $120 each front and rear. The damper gaiters in are Jaguar's terminology for the dust boots on the shocks. They're about $50 each. I substituted Motorcraft upper shock mounts for the gaiters and spring isolators. Motorcraft part numbers are 3W4Z18197AA for the rear and 3W4Z18183AA for the front, both about $50 from Rock Auto.
I also substituted springs from Suplex, a German aftermarket spring supplier. Suplex part numbers are 13035 for the rears and 13038 for the fronts. I found a supplier in England on E-bay who had them for about 50 GBP, and even with shipping Fedex from England they were about half the price for the same parts from the US or Canada.

I could have saved some money by re-using some parts from the T-bird, such as the upper shock mounts. I decided I wanted to be able to just swap the complete strut without having to disassemble the original units, and to make it easy to put the car back to stock. Altogether I have about $1100 CAD (prices above are USD unless noted) in this project, and I'm waiting for the parts to arrive from Rock Auto. Installation looks pretty straight forward, so I'll do that work myself.

Some notes on the Bilsteins: there is a B4 and a B6 version of these shocks. The B6 is supposedly a stiffer shock. I am not looking to turn the T-bird into a sports car, just to make the ride less floaty and bouncy. I'm a bit concerned about what the stiff shocks would do to the flexibility of the car's structure, being that it's a convertible and has the infamous cowl-shake and chassis flex, so I went with the B4 versions.

Shocks and springs are installed, and have driven about 100 miles on them. Didn't take pics, but I'm pleased with the results. Ride height is unchanged from stock. The car behaves more predictably now, with far less body motion on uneven surfaces. Both compression and rebound damping are greatly improved. I'd describe the ride as firm, but not stiff. I'm glad I didn't get the B6 Bilsteins. I think that would have been a mistake.

The best part is the car is no longer upset in a curve when hitting a bump in the road. Previously, it would upset the line and move laterally a foot or so in one particular curve near my house. I didn't have confidence in taking that curve over 40 MPH. Now, 55 is no problem. The car corners flatter too.

Overall I'm happy with the switch. It wasn't cheap, but I like the improvement. Of course, these are my opinions. If you're satisfied with the suspension, then of course stick with it. If you're not, then maybe using Jaguar parts would be a route you could take.

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Lincoln LS Sport Suspension components work well and cost less.

"Euro" shock absorbers from Ford are expensive and hard to find. Even Lincoln Sport Suspension parts are either going or have gone obsolete. There are lists of alternate Ford and Motorcraft part numbers however even factory-recognized second and third tier supplier parts are disappearing.

Initially I intended to use Lincoln sport shocks. The fronts are available, but I was not able to track down the rear shocks, even using the multiple part numbers that Ford issued over the rears. That's why I decided to investigate the Jaguar parts route.

Still don't fully understand why the disparity between availability of front and rear Sport Shocks but "it is what it is". Did manage to buy one pair of rear Sport Shocks before they evaporated. When those are used up will likely go the "Euro-style" Bilstein route - if THEY are still available. Or some firm monotube style replacements.

Wanna start a dumpster fire? Try posting the list of Ford and Motorcraft alternate Sport Shock part numbers... lol

Still don't fully understand why the disparity between availability of front and rear Sport Shocks but "it is what it is". Did manage to buy one pair of rear Sport Shocks before they evaporated. When those are used up will likely go the "Euro-style" Bilstein route - if THEY are still available. Or some firm monotube style replacements.

Wanna start a dumpster fire? Try posting the list of Ford and Motorcraft alternate Sport Shock part numbers... lol

I have read everywhere and I am unable to find any listing of the coil spring rates and heights on 2002-2005 TBirds . The aftermarket suppliers don't even list their spring rates. I'm trying to upgrade the coil springs and struts but I want 1" drop in front and to keep the same height in the rear. Anyone have any info?

On my 2004 Pacific Coast Roadster I changed shocks to KYB and springs to H&R, as many on forum have done. Now ride is OK on perfectly smooth roads, but I'm NOT happy with the harsh ride on bumpy, rutted, or pot-holed roads (and we have plenty). Anybody feel the same way? A smoother, more cruiser-like ride is preferable. Solution?

Only suggestion is go back to new factory standard shock absorbers.

I found my 2003 two years ago with 44000 miles on it. As far as i know the suspension is stock. I think the handling and performance are remarkably good for a 280 hp, 3800 pound "cruiser." My other car is a 2011 Corvette and while I drive neither near the limits I find little difference in handling on our local curvy whoop-de-doos. I really enjoy both equally.
Just sayin'. . . :)

Back