Differential gear oil change 2002 T Bird | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Differential gear oil change 2002 T Bird

• Thread starter Thread starter 350xfire
  • Start date Start date
350xfire
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Anyone here change their differential gear oil? I assume you just suck out the old and add new as there is no drain plug and to remove the cover looks nearly impossible... Which tools did you use to suck and pump in fluid?
Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

It never hurts to put in clean oil. Oil does break down and loose it's additives with mileage and time. An oil extractor helps with transfer the fluid in and out. Below is a example from HF, but I have not used this one.

I bought my 2004 bird with 138,000 miles on it from a used car lot that I trust. They had a Carfax report that indicated that the one owner before me had serviced the vehicle regularly but there was no detail as to what services were performed. I had the transmission fluid changed just last week at a Ford dealer near me. I just thought that was the prudent thing to do even though it may have been changed before I owned the car. They checked the rear differential oil and told me it was full and never needed changing. The owner's manual says the same thing. At this point I'm believing them but it seems to me that changing it can't hurt.

I bought my 2004 bird with 138,000 miles on it from a used car lot that I trust. They had a Carfax report that indicated that the one owner before me had serviced the vehicle regularly but there was no detail as to what services were performed.
Tips for car buying-
Rule #1, never trust a used car dealership.
Rule #2, never trust a carfax.

I remember managers at the Ford dealer saying if you can't make money off your friends and family, who can you make it off of? They buy tons of cars at auctions to sell and don't even know the history.

I purchased a Mercedes years ago from a Mercedes dealer. The vehicle was a " Perfect Certified Pre-Owned Mercedes-Benz". About a year later The headlight burned out. As I removed the headlight I noticed a Replacement part sticker on the inside of the front fender. Further investigation reviled that the car was involved in a major accident and repaired. The front clip and driver side doors were replaced. They did a good job I could not tell when I purchased the car. But the fact remains .....
Rule #1, never trust a new or used car dealership.

Yeah, the Carfax report didn't factor into my buying decision. The used car dealer was pretty up front with what he knew about the car and he let me have it checked out by another mechanic which is about as much as you can expect from a used car place. It's a small town and he knows word gets around pretty quickly if someone is unhappy. The car was priced appropriately for the mileage and my thoughts were to drive it for a year as a fun weekend car and then get rid of it. Kind of like renting it for a year. Well, I've had it for a year and I really like driving it and want to keep it. So now, I'm going to have everything really checked out, update all the maintenance items and drive it without worrying about how many miles I put on it. A losing proposition money wise, but what hobby car isn't?

I purchased a Mercedes years ago from a Mercedes dealer. The vehicle was a " Perfect Certified Pre-Owned Mercedes-Benz". About a year later The headlight burned out. As I removed the headlight I noticed a Replacement part sticker on the inside of the front fender. Further investigation reviled that the car was involved in a major accident and repaired. The front clip and driver side doors were replaced. They did a good job I could not tell when I purchased the car. But the fact remains .....
Rule #1, never trust a new or used car dealership.

Scammers will always find ways to beat the system... I recently visited a shop to sell them my Nissan Titan wheels after I lifted it and had no use for them. They basically buy these wrecked cars at auctions and put them back together and sell them back at other auctions. It was crazy what the guy had on his shop. I also was around Houston during Harvey.... Probably 100s of thousands of cars came out of Houston with flood damage that I'm sure will end up in similar auctions...

I was thinking the same thing yesterday about the differential oil. I looked it up in the owner's manual. It states that it is filled with synthetic oil and never needs to be changed unless the diff is submerged in water.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday about the differential oil. I looked it up in the owner's manual. It states that it is filled with synthetic oil and never needs to be changed unless the diff is submerged in water.

Yeah, but, I'm OCD and like to replace all my fluids at least every 100k miles even when not needed. Lubricants tend to break down over time. The fluid that came out was thick, dark and stinky unlike the new one that went in. Just something I like to do and it doesn't take too much effort.

I am doing transmission and filter this weekend.

Tips for car buying-
Rule #1, never trust a used car dealership.

I remember managers at the Ford dealer saying if you can't make money off your friends and family, who can you make it off of? They buy tons of cars at auctions to sell and don't even know the history.

After hearing the fluctuating whirring sounds while driving around town I had my mechanic check the differential fluid. Sure enough metal chips/flakes. Will know more once it pulled out and opened up. I still don't know how it could be that bad after only 36K on her but here we are.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still don't know how it could be that bad after only 36K on her but here we are.

I've noticed over the years many people focus on the miles and not the age of the car. The car is 16 years old. That's how many years you are in from 1st grade through your senior year in college. That's plenty of time for components to fail. Puts in a new perspective, right? This is also why car warranties are 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Back