Dead Battery | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Dead Battery

• Thread starter Thread starter irands
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I just connected my tender to the end of each post and added a nut. That way no reprogramming of windows and radio stations. Left the pigtail come out from under the trunk cover and just plag in at will.

BTW, for an '05 you really shouldn't have a dead battery, unless you leave the alarm on. Any other door/trunk, if left ajar, shuts off the circuit after about 15-20 minutes....In fact after reading your post I just went out and checked. I forgot to put the tender on for the past 2 months. Mines a 2002, original battery and it started right up.
Also I've heard of too many '05's with bad batteries, so you may want to let your dealer know at your next service appointment. That way they'll put a test on it, but most af all, you will have it written on the service order, in case it reoccurs.

Last edited:
I own a 2005 T-bird. After one year the battery went dead twice. The dealer said it had a bad battery. They replaced the battery and all was ok for two years, then within the last month the battery has gone dead twice. The second time when I opened the door to get the booklet, the panic alarm went off and the lights came on. I called Roadside Assistance all of the times. The second time Roadside Assistance could not get the car to jump start. When I put the booklet back in the car, nothing came on and it was deader than dead. So I called Roadside Assistance again to get a tow to the dealer. The dealer got the car to start with a jump start. They tested the battery and said it was ok. Dealer explanation was: You don't drive the car enough. You have to drive 50 continuous expressway driving once a week to keep it charged. Isn't that stupid? My minimum driving pattern is 3 times a week between 3-5 miles and at least once a month a 45 mile round trip. This is minimum!

Comments?

Phyllis:
That is absolute nonsence coming from a dealer who obviously knows nothing!!!! By the way he is not the first one to say that either. NOTE: If the battery is low, your alarm will sound. That's why it went off.
I have a 2002 with 13,000 miles which is an average of a little over 2,000 miles per year. Original battery and still no problems - So much for not driving it -
2005, Ford had a lot of bad batteries and if they replaced yours they probably still had a lot of bad batteries left. I would insist on a replacement. Every time it does not start, DO NOT jump it. Call them under warranty and they'll get you a better new one!! Afterall, they are the only source for this battery - No one else supplies them.
It is so dis-heartning to hear the nonsence that these dealers try to put over on people.

Last edited:
Thanks George,

This last episode was at a different dealer (closer) than the first time. I asked for a new battery and the answer was no. The battery tested ok and FoMoCo would not pay for a new battery. The first time I took it back to where I bought the car. I have a friend whose father is a semi-retired master mechanic (50 + years) at a yet again different dealer 40 miles from my home. He thinks it is an electrical problem. He said he would be happy to check it out.

One other question: My seat warmer is extremely warm on the low setting. I can only keep it on for a little while, then I usually manually turn it off. This last time the battery was dead I had only driven a short distance and had the seat warmer on. I hadn't turned it off manually. Do you think it could have stayed on for the next 3 hours? When I went out then the battery was dead. Is the seat warmer on your car VERY warm?

Thanks George,

This last episode was at a different dealer (closer) than the first time. I asked for a new battery and the answer was no. The battery tested ok and FoMoCo would not pay for a new battery. The first time I took it back to where I bought the car. I have a friend whose father is a semi-retired master mechanic (50 + years) at a yet again different dealer 40 miles from my home. He thinks it is an electrical problem. He said he would be happy to check it out.

One other question: My seat warmer is extremely warm on the low setting. I can only keep it on for a little while, then I usually manually turn it off. This last time the battery was dead I had only driven a short distance and had the seat warmer on. I hadn't turned it off manually. Do you think it could have stayed on for the next 3 hours? When I went out then the battery was dead. Is the seat warmer on your car VERY warm?
That heated seat could be a suspect as you suggest. In 2002, if we didn't physically shut off the rear window defroster the drain continued on the battery. But then there was a fix done by Ford.
Glad you have an expert to look at your car. Possibly he can check to see if there is a drain coming from the heated seat circuit.
Keep us informed, please.

I got a new battery from the dealer. I believe the 2005 bird has a problem since it seems to require a battery tender/maintainer to keep the battery charged.

Glad you had success with your dealer and battery replacement.
Just to be sure, since there aren't too many of these Birds around and the mechanics don't really know them, double check to see that they connected the drain hose to your new battery. It goes from the battery through the fender well floor.
It's there to keep the gasses from collecting in the trunk. Batteries under the hood do not need this due to constant air flow. Ours do, since they have no air flow in the trunk and trapped gasses can be a problem - Just a suggestion.

I believe the vent hose on my 2005 is vented from the battery through the side/rear of the wheel well and not the bottom. Sure would like to see a drawing of this proceedure. Thanks

Phyllis and irands:

1) Thanks, you are correct the drain does go out that way. I'll see if I can locate pictures or instructions as well

2) Here's a note attached that references an electrical battery drain on 2002-2005 TBirds that you both may want to see. Especially Phyllis since you are going to the 50+ mechanic, this could help you troubleshoot-see attachment

EDITED:

SORRY, I CANNOT ATTACH ANY ATTACHMENTS ANYMORE, IF YOU WANT A COPY SEND ME A PM WITH YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS AND I'LL SEE THAT YOU GET IT.
GEORGE

Last edited:
Trying to upload attachment one more time

George,
Don't know what you mean by PM. Is it safe to send my e-mail via a post reply? I certainly would like to see the reference on the electrical drain.

Some people do not want to display their email address on a public forum. Myself included.
So, to send a PM, that's a private message, go to one of my posts, and click on my name. A menu will appear with public profile and "send a private message". Just cklick on the private message block and a new screen will come up. Address it to me, add a subject and then in the body, just put in your email address and what you are looking foir in case I forgatten.
George

George,
When I go to your public profile I get directed to a page to become a Lifetime Member for $25.00. Apparently I can't access that information without becoming a member. Can you tell me where you found the reference? I would really like to know what it says. I might bite the bullet and provide my e-mail address here, but would prefer not to.

The mechanic that is going to look at my car is out of town until April 2. He will check the car sometime late next week. I will certainly let everyone on this forum know what happens.

Phyllis:
I understand completely about posting addresses.
I don't remember where I picked it up, but it's saved on my home computer. When I get home I'll try to copy it onto a post here. If it's too late, it may be in the morning, but certainly no later.
Now, sometimes we are limited to the amount of words in a given post, so if that happens I'll have to post it on multiple posts.
Be patient a while longer. I believe that this is definitely something that, that mechanic of yours should read if he's going to help you out. 😎

I just re-read the data I have and what I have actually copied is eight pages and it did not copy completely. Here is the title:

"BATTERY DRAIN DIAGNOSIS—SERVICE TIPS TSB 05-22-9
FORD: LINCOLN:
2002-2005 Thunderbird 2000-2006 LS "

I will try to find more complete info, but certainly any dealer has access to this on their computer System. The TSB numnber is the key though.
It does say:
"NOTE:
The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”. Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article.The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates.The most recent information is
available through Ford Motor Company’s on-line technical resources."

TSB for 2005 is 05-22-9 which is specific a battery drain - for 2003 it's TSB 03-15-9 which relates to climate controls - for 2002 it's TSB02-9-5

Last edited:
That's great George. With that TBS number the mechanic will be able to read the whole bulletin. Thank you so much. That might be the key. Will let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back