Dead Battery - Can't get car to start even w/ jump. | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Dead Battery - Can't get car to start even w/ jump.

• Thread starter Thread starter Cinburr
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
HI... Spouse has 2004 bird - he is at our new home out of state and I will be joining him in a week. Went to start the bird a couple of weeks ago and it was dead -- since it was backed into the garage had to wait until the movers took all the boxes out to be able to get to the trunk and jump it. Tried to jump it today -- gets juice from jump, but when son went to start bird, it turned over and then immediately died (like a kill switch was on) and then the alarm started going off. Did this 3-4 times and we never could get it running. Is there a magic combination to go thru to bypass the alarm or whatever is killing it? Would rather not have to have car towed to dealership 60 miles away if I could avoid it! The battery is fairly new-- he had trouble with it last year going dead after just a few weeks so the battery was replaced at that time-- couldn't be more that 6 months old. I was able to start the car the week before Christmas w/o problems but then 2 wks later when I tried to start it up, it was dead, and now this. Help!!

Thanks!

Cindy

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Does Not make sense.I would remove the battery and have it tested.

If battery is good and still does not start.A Tow could save a lot more money in the long run.

Good Luck ..

Did you have the alarm set when the battery went dead? After the boost battery has been hooked up does the security light blink?? If so, you will need to disarm it with the key fob before you try to start the car. The security system keeps the engine from running.

Welcome to the club. I had the same issue with our 04. Since it sits all winter If I didnt start it weekly I get the same reaction as you are. I can never get it started using my jiffy-jump either. I had to put my battery charger on it and after about 1/2 an hour it had enough umph to start. I have a cousin who is a Ford Master Tech and he told me that I need to get a battery tender and install it and my problem will go away. Because the car has so many electronic control units ( I believe he said there are atleast 6 always drawing power) that when it sits so long that is the end result. I guess there were some issues with the rear defroster not shutting off on its own when stored with the hardtop on also. Goodluck . If its any consolation mine has been problem free since this

Cindy:
Skylark may have solved it with his response. Here's what another owner said:

"It could be the security system was armed when the battery went dead. He will need to disarm it with the key fob. He can do this with a booster battery attached and before he tries to start the car. The engine will not run if the security system has been compromised.. This happened to my car while it was at the dealership for repairs. They opened to door with the key so that they could get the trunk open. They attempted to start the car with the booster attached. As soon as they opened the door the horn started blowing. The engine would turn over, but it wouldn't start. The service manager told the mechanic to unlock the car with the fob and that solved the problem."
Hope this helps!!

son of a snort

Yeah, from first month on.
(2005 got for xmas 2004)
Seems I.ve had replaced under warranty (extended)
battery, protection circuit, drawdown tests and finally (last month) the circuit that waits before shutting down (didn't). I don't know what it is called, but there is a TSB on it.
What I do know, it it is
1)very expensive
2)they won't find until they can tell you it is two weeks out of warranty
(be an astute consumer, don't give in easily if at all)
I do not know if it is a fix, but suspect it is.

tlfmd:
Please look at your service order. They usually type in symtoms and resolution. It would be nice to see what they said, in order to get the warranty work paid for - It should also state the TSB number

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back