couple of issues | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

couple of issues

• Thread starter Thread starter Heavyfinger
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Heavyfinger

Click here to upgrade
Reaction score
I have a 2004 first owner and it is having a couple of issues. First of all it is really riding rough. Just put on a new set of tires and not much difference. She has 62,000 and it appears it is time for a new set of struts. I seem to have a slight rattle when the top is up/on that originates from the back in. I believe this is a strut problem. Can someone confirm such a noise? I have also begun to see smoke coming from the tailpipe but only if she sits in idle for about 5 minutes. Once you start driving this goes away. I heard that there is a filter inside the drivers side valve cover that gets full of oil and could be causing this problem. I have also been told that I may have a bad coil. My mechanic replaced 3 that he said the computer was showing as a problem. Should I have replaced all of them? Could this be part of the smoking problem. Sometimes on hot days or long drives she starts to chug a little when you try to step on the gas. Once she clears herself out.....ZOOM This happens whether you are in sport shift or not. Could all of these symptoms be related to the coils? Just some info that might help someone answer these questions. I will never part with her no matter what.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have a 2004 first owner and it is having a couple of issues. First of all it is really riding rough. Just put on a new set of tires and not much difference. She has 62,000 and it appears it is time for a new set of struts. I seem to have a slight rattle when the top is up/on that originates from the back in. I believe this is a strut problem. Can someone confirm such a noise? I have also begun to see smoke coming from the tailpipe but only if she sits in idle for about 5 minutes. Once you start driving this goes away. I heard that there is a filter inside the drivers side valve cover that gets full of oil and could be causing this problem. I have also been told that I may have a bad coil. My mechanic replaced 3 that he said the computer was showing as a problem. Should I have replaced all of them? Could this be part of the smoking problem. Sometimes on hot days or long drives she starts to chug a little when you try to step on the gas. Once she clears herself out.....ZOOM This happens whether you are in sport shift or not. Could all of these symptoms be related to the coils? Just some info that might help someone answer these questions. I will never part with her no matter what.

....shouldn't be struts at 62000 imo ....top related rattles have been an issue for some....maybe do a search...mine will blow a blue haze sometimes on start up or heavy acceleration....since the begining......as yours is an '04 COPS replacement is covered under warranty.

An easy question - have you lubricated the struts?

I dunno what they do underneath along with the oil change... all my oil changes for the Tbird get done at the Ford dealer.

strut lubrication

Thanks for the info. I have never lubricated the struts. I don't believe it has ever been done. I did not know this could even be done. No mechanic has ever stated that he has lubricated the struts. Any clues on how this is completed? Do I look for grease zerk(I think that spelling is correct). Do they look the standard?

thanks for the info. What could be the problem with the rough ride if not the struts? Would bad COPS cause the "chugging" I'm experiencing?

Absolutely. Any codes show up on your dash?
Find a steep hill and start to go up it. Then let it labor while going up. Usually this will cause weak COPS to show up and possibly display a code number. Once displayed your dealer can retrieve the code from the computer and fix the issue
Of course, if you do this and the COPS act up, it will be sputtering etc. Remember, 2004's are covered by Ford for COPS up to 100,000 miles or 10 years

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back