Clean Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Thank you! I have the feeling that I have forgotten how to clean car windows and the past several months I have been so vry frustrated with this!

I have tried Windex, special car window cleaning sprays, even vinigar and water and all leave streaks that seem to get worse and worse over the course of a couple of days.

Never remember this problem before. Is it the paper towels, the amount of cleaner I am using or what???

Interested in replys

Outside Windows: One to two drops of liquid dishwashing detergent per 1/2 gallon of water and a squeegy is what a lot of professional window cleaners use.

-

I am having the same problem as both of you. I have used paper towels, cotton towels, windex, rainx window cleaner and a couple of other cleaners and nothing helps. Please help.

I've never used anything but auto shampoo and dried with a natural chamois. No streaks or spots at all. I bought Zaino's glass treatment and have been so impressed with their other products, I'm sure it will do the job, but haven't had occasion to try it yet.

After detailing it the other day I took it for a drive and swear I couldn't even tell there was glass in the frame. I also use a California duster to remove fingerprints and smudges. Works great for removing lint from the tonneau cover, too.

I wash both sides of the side windows, but have only used the duster on the inside windshield. With its steep rake, it's hard to get at the inside with a washing mitt without getting water on the dash.

-

O.K., I thought it was me! What is going on with these windshields?? I have never had trouble before but like some of you can't seem to find an off the shelf product that doesn't leave streaks. Is this another question for Destin? What type of top secret glass is Ford using?? :)

------------------
Blue Premium w/partial accent
02 Black Taurus SE

After you get the glass as clean as you can, then remove the streaks with newspaper. I originally saw this tip on this forum and it really works!

------------------
Ron

VIN #7729, seq.#7505, blue premium,
partial blue interior, no top, Louisville Ky.

I think I have been driving my wife nuts with this all summer. Streaks seem to happen both inside and out and I can not tell you how many times I have thought I had done a great job on the windshield only to turn into the sun (or at night on coming headlights) and see huge streak marks. Perhaps one of the problems is that with the rake on modern winshields its harder and harder to get your hand in the areas easily, but I still can't totally figure out why I can't clean windows any more! It seems to me too that the problem gets worse as time goes on. What was a slight streak on Monday is like a cloud on Wednesday! What the heck is going on???? Is it me?

-

I also have tried many different approaches to try and get a clean windshield. The inside seems to be the biggest problem. I ordered the Zaino products and all of them are great except the window cleaner does no better than Windex and other auto glass cleaners. Paper towels, cotton towels, microfiber towels it doesn't seem to matter. As soon as I get out in the sun the windshield looks like crap with streaks everywhere. I will try some of the solutions suggested by others and hope for better luck.

------------------
2002 blue/blue/full blue
2001 Toyota Highlander
1990 Acura Integra

The newspaper works great.. there is a product at WalMart that is amonia (sp) free that helps. I used it.. but alas I used the same soft cotton towel i had used to wipe the wax off with.. now I really have a chore! But its starting to shine like its supposed to.

Oh great! More window cleaning problems. My husband's Corvette is notorious for this streaky/foggy-looking problem. Another Vette owner had said that the chemicals released by by the dashboard when the sun hits it is what creates the film on the inside glass. I spent nearly 2 hours on his windows for a recent car show and finally ended up putting that invisible window stuff on them. That seemed to work the best, inside and out, and is like a wax for windows.

------------------
Debi in MI
2002 T-Bird blue
1997 Corvette black
1987 Cougar XR-7 black

Forgot to add that a wood spatula covered with a cloth is best for trying to get into the steep angle at the inside dash where fingers won't fit.

------------------
Debi in MI
2002 T-Bird blue
1997 Corvette black
1987 Cougar XR-7 black

I worked and worked on mine yesterday. I finally had success with distilled water and white vinegar. It's so clear it's almost like it's not there. The trick is the distilled water. Faucet water and white vinegar didn't do the trick.

Originally posted by Brooklyn:
RedBird
How much white vinega to distilled water?
I used about 1/4 cup to a quart. Good luck!

How long did it stay clear/clean?

I can get the glass clear. The problem is that the cloudiness comes back after a day or two.

And do you drive with your top down (a lot)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back