Borla Exhaust | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Borla Exhaust

• Thread starter Thread starter ROADKING
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have a Borla exhaust system on their 2003 or newer T-Bird? Any problems with fit or installation? I waited over 7 weeks for my Borla system (told it was back ordered)....When it finally arrived I made an appointment to have it installed by a local & very good muffler shop only to be informed that the front pipes would not even begin to fit.....Completely different from my factory bends......Had to have my original exhaust system re-installed on my car! That was May 21st......& I still haven't gotten anywhere with Borla or the supplier......Borla shifts replacement to the seller & they claim (I agree with them) Borla should send me a replacement system as it is Borla who made the manufacturing mistake (Borla does say that since all their systems are hand made a mistake is possible)! Borla tells me it will take them at least 7-8 weeks to make me a new system & since I didn't install them (COULDN"T) I should take my problem to the selling dealer (who doesn't want to be responsible for Borlas' Million Mile Warranty! So here I am out my money & no exhaust system & not much nice to say about "BORLA"?

June 2020 Moderator Update- View this thread for current information- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...rd-borla-140008-140081-cat-back-exhaust.9411/

Borla-Exhausts-Ford-Thunderbird.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

ROADKING said:
Anyone have a Borla exhaust system on their 2003 or newer T-Bird? Any problems with fit or installation? I waited over 7 weeks for my Borla system (told it was back ordered)....When it finally arrived I made an appointment to have it installed by a local & very good muffler shop only to be informed that the front pipes would not even begin to fit.....Completely different from my factory bends......Had to have my original exhaust system re-installed on my car! That was May 21st......& I still haven't gotten anywhere with Borla or the supplier......Borla shifts replacement to the seller & they claim (I agree with them) Borla should send me a replacement system as it is Borla who made the manufacturing mistake (Borla does say that since all their systems are hand made a mistake is possible)! Borla tells me it will take them at least 7-8 weeks to make me a new system & since I didn't install them (COULDN"T) I should take my problem to the selling dealer (who doesn't want to be responsible for Borlas' Million Mile Warranty! So here I am out my money & no exhaust system & not much nice to say about "BORLA"?

I know lots of people with 2003+ Borla systems... I think its been resolved but at one point the notch on the very front pipe (drivers side) was rotated off about 1/4 inch... if you inserted the notch to the mating pin on the cat then the pipe was rotated and nothing else lined up. The solution was to grind the pin off or widen the notch ont he Borla pipe... were both sides "bent wrong" or could this have been the problem? Excopt for this Pin/slot issue on some of the first 2003 pipes Borla made, I haven't heard any issues, I suppose a packer could have put the wrong pipes in the box. I have Borlas on a 2002 and I love them. Good luck and if you can get your money back from the system dealer I think I can steer you to someplace cheaper to buy the Borlas... (a tad over $700)

Last edited:
I had similar issue with Borla exhaust. It was designed for 02s. The muffler inlet tubes are the wrong diameter, wrong spacing, wrong length, and locater pin in wrong location for 03s and newer. No help from Borla, but supplier refunded purchase price. I was out the freight, handling, and my time. I had removed the stock system before I noticed the difference. Actually have grown to enjoy the stock system. Bought a Chevy SSR for "The Sound". Fun to have the quiet cruiser at times. PS. the Bird will out run the SSR.

MYKE03 said:
I had similar issue with Borla exhaust. It was designed for 02s. The muffler inlet tubes are the wrong diameter, wrong spacing, wrong length, and locater pin in wrong location for 03s and newer. No help from Borla, but supplier refunded purchase price. I was out the freight, handling, and my time. I had removed the stock system before I noticed the difference. Actually have grown to enjoy the stock system. Bought a Chevy SSR for "The Sound". Fun to have the quiet cruiser at times. PS. the Bird will out run the SSR.

This must have been a packing or shipping error... the order number for the Borla system for 2002 is 140008 and for the 2003, 2004 and 2005 Thunderbird it's 140081. They do have a system that fits but apparently they sent you the wrong set.

Sorry I took so long to respond.....Borla basically admitted they used the wrong form when they made my exhaust.....they said that was possible because they are all hand made.....after weeks of phone calls & being kicked back & forth between the supplier & Borla and talking to at least three different people within the Borla company they finally sent me a new front muffler.I took that one to the mufler shop (local Meineke) and they installed it with no problems....I went on a week trip Watkins Glenn /Niagra Falls...over 1100 miles & the Bird just purred.....not much louder than stock but a deeper more mellow sound....I really feel it ran better.....I also had installed a K & N air filter....car seems very quick & over 27 mpg......Wife & I love the car and never saw another one on the entire trip , saw lots of Vettes,Mustangs,a Cobra kit car, a Viper & even a new Ford GT on the highway (sounds fantastic).

I know it is hard, but keep your foot out of the carberator. I am just learning that, mine just turned 1,000 miles and I'm finially getting over 17 in the city.

Also I found out I was driving by the position of the speedometer needle rather than the numbers (OH my 80 mph is straight up not 70 🙄 )

3XBirdOwner said:
I installed Magnaflows. Same o Same o, but only $250 installed. 😀

3XBirdOwner,
Have you heard the Borlas and how do they compare sound-wise to the Magnaflows? I wanted just a little more "rumble" than stock sound and I put the Borlas on about 1,000 miles ago... they were pretty sweet when I first put them on but are a bit louder now... if they continue getting louder I'm not going to like them...

Quickdraw,
I thought the Borlas are solid stainless steel. I would expext a SS exhaust system to last a long time without getting louder.

HKS 🙄 🙄

Quickdraw said:
3XBirdOwner,
Have you heard the Borlas and how do they compare sound-wise to the Magnaflows? I wanted just a little more "rumble" than stock sound and I put the Borlas on about 1,000 miles ago... they were pretty sweet when I first put them on but are a bit louder now... if they continue getting louder I'm not going to like them...

HKS said:
Quickdraw,
I thought the Borlas are solid stainless steel. I would expext a SS exhaust system to last a long time without getting louder.

HKS 🙄 🙄

They are stainless - still they are louder now but not a great deal louder... I'd heard the break in period was 800 miles so hopefully the sound won't get any louder than it is now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back