1957 exhaust systems

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Ward 57

Ward 57

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I'm considering replacing my exhaust system this winter. It hasn't gotten loud but I can hear a little rumble from under the car. When I was under it this spring, the mufflers are starting to rust out and wrinkling and sagging in the middle. The system is probably 40yrs old so has lasted well.
Any experience with pre-formed exhaust systems from the usual suppliers CASCO etc.? I will go with resonators and the heat shields that bolt onto the top of the mufflers. I'm sure it would cost less than having them formed from scratch by a local shop. I'll also replace the heat riser valve when at it.

Hey @Ward 57 . I was looking at the heat riser in a few different places online and it does say…this valve is not needed if you don’t drive the car in cold weather. I may start my cars in the winter once in a “blue moon” but they won’t see the any drive time. Just knowing our conversations, your vehicle will not see those conditions either….maybe consider eliminating it?

Hey @Ward 57 . I was looking at the heat riser in a few different places online and it does say…this valve is not needed if you don’t drive the car in cold weather. I may start my cars in the winter once in a “blue moon” but they won’t see the any drive time. Just knowing our conversations, your vehicle will not see those conditions either….maybe consider eliminating it?
Naww, I want to keep it as stock as possible and I see no downside. I park my small rider mower in the front of the garage so I can take my car out any time. I do drive it in the cooler fall when I have an excuse like getting to the mower and don't want to have to deal with warm-up issues. I guess it's the same with the hood scoop block off but I'll never use one.

I eliminated the heat riser a few years ago when I did the engine rebuild and honestly can’t tell any difference in warm up times.
Here in NewEngland drive the car in spring and fall as well as through the summer with no adverse effects. Just my 2 cents worth :)

I replaced the exhaust on my 57 with CASCO’s premade pipes ad mufflers.
I used the aluminized pipe with the stainless muffler and stainless mounting hardware.
Was pretty easy to do
Everything fit very nicely and the hardware kit is excellent
I also added the heat shields, they made a difference
Also
The sound is very good
diddo on leaving the heat riser out, I used the spacer as well

Check with Waldron Exhaust in Michigan, They make high quality OE style exhaust in both aluminized steel and stainless.

I replaced my exhaust with a set from Concours. Everthing fit correctly. I did not install resonators and am happy with that decision.

I got rid of the heat riser in both of my YBlocks(used the spacer in place of it). Didn't really see any difference in warm up times.

I eliminated the heat riser a few years ago when I did the engine rebuild and honestly can’t tell any difference in warm up times.
Here in NewEngland drive the car in spring and fall as well as through the summer with no adverse effects. Just my 2 cents worth :)
Well I found the heat riser is unobtanium and new ones are on a slow ship from who knows where. So the fellow who is replacing my system is just going to disable my current riser and I've heard no negative results. Original part but not needed to be functional. Found some interesting automotive archeology in the process.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Last edited:

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
That one on top doesn't look OEM to me. Nobody has any even though they have been ordered but they are most likely from China, and lost in the supply chain No ETA from any of the suppliers.

Like those 1956 exhaust deflectors… I think I mentioned I found a set of NOS with the ford stickers on them but NOT cheap.

Like those 1956 exhaust deflectors… I think I mentioned I found a set of NOS with the ford stickers on them but NOT cheap.
I think I heard the '57 deflectors are getting hard to find also. I'm afraid that it's getting to the point that most of the people who needed parts got them and the supply of owners who now need them is diminishing.

I kinda thought the same…until a new crop of owners replaces the current roster, the suppliers are left with inventories not conducive to sales

I'm considering replacing my exhaust system this winter. It hasn't gotten loud but I can hear a little rumble from under the car. When I was under it this spring, the mufflers are starting to rust out and wrinkling and sagging in the middle. The system is probably 40yrs old so has lasted well.
Any experience with pre-formed exhaust systems from the usual suppliers CASCO etc.? I will go with resonators and the heat shields that bolt onto the top of the mufflers. I'm sure it would cost less than having them formed from scratch by a local shop. I'll also replace the heat riser valve when at it.
Go with the pre-formed pipes from NPW or CASCO. Generic muffler shops can't be relied upon to "free form" pipes to the correct shapes.

Go with the pre-formed pipes from NPW or CASCO. Generic muffler shops can't be relied upon to "free form" pipes to the correct shapes.
Ordered the whole shebang from CASCO. They pre-form them in house. Being installed now.

Just got it back. Nice throaty but subdued V-8 rumble out the back and not from underneath. Had them install the heat shields too. Back under the cover, Battery switch disconnected as it's been below freezing for a very unusual 2-3 weeks and another storm on it's way Wednesday. Can't wait for spring...

Back