Borla Exhaust Installation Tips 2003-2005

ricklove

ricklove

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Just ordered a Borla 140081 for my 2004 Premium. For those that have installed this system yourself; any suggestions, helpful hints, etc? Thanks!

Just ordered a Borla 140081 for my 2004 Premium. For those that have installed this system yourself; any suggestions, helpful hints, etc? Thanks!
I had it done when my Heads were done, you will love the sound, mines been on about 4 years, but only drive it spring-summer and into the fall September, then in the garage

It's not hard, are you going to do it in a garage?

It's not hard, are you going to do it in a garage?

Yes; I have a 2 post lift and tools (except a tailpipe lift doohickey stand). I plan on unboxing the pieces and holding them up to the existing system before starting to unbolt stuff. Will let some PBlaster set overnight to loosen any stuck bolts & nuts.

Yes; I have a 2 post lift and tools (except a tailpipe lift doohickey stand). I plan on unboxing the pieces and holding them up to the existing system before starting to unbolt stuff. Will let some PBlaster set overnight to loosen any stuck bolts & nuts.
It sounds like you got a good price for the exhaust system, I think you were lucky to find them.

Ended up that Borla stuf is all back ordered and ship date not until 4 October. I called Borla and tech told me that another vendor had 3 sets in stock. Cancelled Jegs and reordered thru Summit Racing for same price. Should be here Tuesday, and I'm ready to try the install myself.

Ended up that Borla stuf is all back ordered and ship date not until 4 October. I called Borla and tech told me that another vendor had 3 sets in stock. Cancelled Jegs and reordered thru Summit Racing for same price. Should be here Tuesday, and I'm ready to try the install myself.
I raised my 2004 up with four stands in the garage and did it all by myself. Spray some nut buster first and let it sit maybe overnight. Then spray a little bit more before you start. If You have any exposed threads that the bolts have to come off, before spraying them, knock some rust off first with a small wire brush Good luck..

Here are the Borla instructions; seems the only tricky (dangerous) part is lowering the assembled old exhaust down (takes two people or some sort of jack); the Borla goes up in sections manageable by one person.

Attachments

• Borla_Install.pdf
    699 KB · Views: 4
I just paid myself $300 for labor!!!!! Prior to receiving the Borla cat back kit, I took my 04 Bird to 5 different local muffler shops for an estimate for them to remove the old exhaust and install the Borla system. They all stated that Borla made some great exhaust, but the estimates varied from $190 minimum to possibly $350 (plus tax). If there were problems, the price would go up. The old exhaust has a "U" shaped bracing piece mounted between the front pipes and and another "X" shaped piece just after the front mufflers. I used a sawzall and cut these braces (can be rewelded if someone wants/needs a 24k mile stock exhaust system). Next trouble spot was trying to remove the hangar pieces from the rubber mounts (2 on each side). Took about 2 hours total for removal of the stock system. Installing the Borla took less than 45 minutes!! Like anything else, if I had to do it again, it would take less time now that I know how it's done. What a great sound starting it up, then driving it for the first time. As much as I didn't want to spend almost $900 for an exhaust system; now that it's installed, I'm happy with it.

I just paid myself $300 for labor!!!!! Prior to receiving the Borla cat back kit, I took my 04 Bird to 5 different local muffler shops for an estimate for them to remove the old exhaust and install the Borla system. They all stated that Borla made some great exhaust, but the estimates varied from $190 minimum to possibly $350 (plus tax). If there were problems, the price would go up. The old exhaust has a "U" shaped bracing piece mounted between the front pipes and and another "X" shaped piece just after the front mufflers. I used a sawzall and cut these braces (can be rewelded if someone wants/needs a 24k mile stock exhaust system). Next trouble spot was trying to remove the hangar pieces from the rubber mounts (2 on each side). Took about 2 hours total for removal of the stock system. Installing the Borla took less than 45 minutes!! Like anything else, if I had to do it again, it would take less time now that I know how it's done. What a great sound starting it up, then driving it for the first time. As much as I didn't want to spend almost $900 for an exhaust system; now that it's installed, I'm happy with it.
You’re going to be even happier once it’s broken in. I had mine installed by my independent mechanic. I don’t go under lifted cars. Just a personal phobia of mine.

I have a 4-post lift and this may be a winter project for me; still prowling around for a Borla bargain but it looks like the mid-to-upper $800 is as good as it gets...

You guys are making me want to spend another $850 on this darn car... hahahaha
I guess i's only money and you can't take it with you!

You guys are making me want to spend another $850 on this darn car... hahahaha
I guess i's only money and you can't take it with you!

That was me for the past 6 months since I've owned my 04 Merlot. The Borla prices kept going up, and up, and up. I looked at just replacing the mufflers, but they all seemed louder than what I wanted for this T Bird. The Borla cat back system seemed to have the best mellow tone, but were expensive. I made many an offer on the eBay prices, but could never get to the price point that I wanted to pay. I finally called Jegs and asked for a supervisor for a discount. After giving my reasoning, he let me buy a set for $813.99 plus MS state sales tax of 7% ($870.97 total). After a week delay, I called Borla and found out that these systems were back ordered and est. shipping date was not until after 4 Oct. The Borla rep. told me that Summit Racing had 3 sets in stock so I called them; asked for a supervisor, and was able to buy a set for the same price as Jegs. Summit shipped the next day, and I received them 4 days later. Already had removed the old exhaust system, and it took less than 40 minutes to install the Borla system. As soon as I fired it up, I knew that I had made the right decision. (I had already replaced the COPs and plugs the previous week. A tedious task, but very doable.) As my wife told me a few years back; "You can't take it with you.".

Just ordered mine from Summit, I should have it by Wednesday. I also ordered a DCCV which will be here Monday. Been having trouble with a/c and that should correct it. Can’t wait to install Borlas. My 2005 is obviously 15 yrs old and would probably be needing a new exhaust soon anyway. Good luck with yours...

Received Borlas on Thursday and plan on tackling the install next week with a floor jack and 2 jack stands. There are only 2 bolts holding original exhaust in place, the hangers seem to be the bigger problem, from what I hear. Most say liquid dish soap will make things slide easier.
We’ll see

Back