Beta test of new soft boot cover & picture

Status
Not open for further replies.
57 Bluebird:

There is a cutout around the 3rd brake light, no clear panel.

DavidA:

Capturing the cover under the trunk lid is the quickest & easiest way to secure the boot cover without making any modifications to the car.

All the tonneau covers I have seen require snaps to be added to the front of the cockpit, this is a modification that cuts way down on the potential marketplace. If you can think of a way to secure a tonneau that's "Plug & Play" that would be great!

Tom M

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

It does look like the back edge of the cover is tucked underneath the trunk lid. I wonder, is there wind buffeting there which might cause wear on the paint between the back of the seat opening and the trunk? Tom, I guess you took a test drive? Could this be a problem?

Thanks, John

Botnew56:

Keep in mind that the wind is flowing over the windshield and then down on the boot cover and forward towards the windshield. It was clearly pressing the cover down, you could see it.

The underside of the boot cover is soft, I can't remember if it's vinyl or not but I don't think there would be any trouble. Keith has sold quite a number of them for the Z3 with no complaints.

Tom M

Tom M: The closest thing I can think of to Plug&Play for a tonneau would be some kind of weights sewn into the leading edge and magnets sewn into the part that fits over the doors. Since the doors are metal, the magnetic strip would hold, at least when the car is parked and the weights in the front would keep it in place over the defroster vents. With a zipper sewn down the middle the car could be driven at city speeds with the passenger side still covered. Perhaps a zipper sewn widthwise so the front part could be removed would be another consideration, though not that important. I think the usefulness of the front tonneau portion would make it well worth the extra cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back