Beta test of new soft boot cover & picture

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom M

VIP Contributor
Last seen
The second prototype of the soft boot cover came in and Keith & I tested it yesterday. Here's a picture:
http://members.*******/bmwmz3driver/Tbirdboot.jpg

In the top part you see the cover folded up and stuffed into the trunk well. As you can see, there's room to spare! Plus, you would not have to put it there, it would lay flat anywhere in the trunk. Folded up and placed in the storage bag it's about the size of a big bath towel folded in half.

In the bottom of the picture you see it on the car. It looked great! The front part snaps onto the standard boot cover snaps, and the back is held in place under the trunk lid. This prototype was a bit too big between the inner snaps, but it still stayed in place beautifully even at 80 MPH. (I wanted to get a little test time in at 100 MPH but the roads were too heavily traveled.)

Keith is having another prototype made which we hope to test this weekend. If that one is a "go", the present plan is to have 20 made so that it can be tested in the field without making a huge production commitment. Production normally takes about 6 weeks.

If you are interested in trying one of the initial units I would recommend EMAILING Keith at Z3Solution@*******, don't call the 800 number please. This will allow Keith to judge the level of interest.

I'm going to make a prediction - this will be the MUST HAVE ACCESSORY for the '02 Bird. Once you get this you can put your Ford boot cover back in the plastic bag and store it in the attic, you aren't going to need it!

Tom M

-

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Tom,

What is the underside of the boot material (felt, cotton)?

I have also enlarged the photo, brightened it and enhanced the contrast, it helps show the installation better, would you like me to send you a copy?

TomM, I just sent Keith an email telling him of my interest in this.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

Originally posted by Tom M:
Forget the TBird emblem, the Ford lawyers would be all over you. Tom M

I sew & know how to embroider on the machine - I can do it for myself!

My spouse wants an idea of how much the soft boot will cost - he wants one ordered now so we'll have it for the Route 66 tour. hard for us to be one of the guinea pigs
since we don't have a car yet. but if production takes 6 weeks....

quote:

"I sew & know how to embroider on the machine - I can do it for myself! "

Go for it, I bet it looks great!

"My spouse wants an idea of how much the soft boot will cost"

Email Keith at z3solution@*******, he will have to price it.

Tom M

1- this board is monitored by Ford.
2- so I can't legally sell anything with one of their emblems without a licensing agreement.
3- I'm not about to tie myself down to a committment to doing a lot of sewing for others when I can barely bring myself to part from this computer to do even a little sewing
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
Tom M, let us know what responce Keith gets on this in a day or so if you can. I would really like to try one out to see how it works but maybe he might want to send them to the south where they may get more use right now. Also would like to know cost of it. Not that it really matters at this piont. I just want one.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

Go Bird:

I will try to keep everyone informed, but I would recommend emailing Keith. This is a big investment for him, the more enthusiasm he sees the better.

z3solution@*******

Tom M

A quick note:

Keith informs me he is impressed by the quantity of your responses.

He will be expediting the project to try and meet all of your needs, but please be patient.

We still hope to have a new part to test this weekend.

Tom M

Hi all:

Keith asked me to post this reply to all the people who have expressed interest in the soft boot cover for him:

"Thank you everyone for your letters of encouragement about this new part. I
apologize for not responding to all of them as there were so many. We will
continue our efforts to complete this project in a timely manner. However we
have much remaining to do. Once the prototype phase is complete including
dynamic testing we have to have a cost estimate done, then the pattern must
be digitized, then a Q/A check on the "production" run typically resulting in
a new digitized pattern then a part number can be issued. After all this is
complete we can place a production order then wait about 3 weeks for
delivery. As you can see nothing happens as quickly as we'd like. Progress
will be posted for those concerned to read about."

Tom M

Tom M:
Thanks for all the time you Keith have devoted to this project! The boot looks great and it is a must have item,storage bag is a must.

B/B/R...NY02-SR71

Just wondering, it's hard to tell from the picture. If the back edge is tucked into the trunk what happens to the collision avoidance light? Did you cut around it or is there a clear panel

------------------
2002 Black/Black/Full Red
1957 Starmist Blue
1981 Shay ('55 Reproduction)(ok so I sold it 2 months ago)

Looks to me in the top picture that they cut around the center brake light. I'm just not sure about th eoverall look with the back edge tucked under the deck lid. That's quite a distance from the back edge of the roof to the leading edge of the trunk. As a side note, it would be a terrific acccessory if it also covered the seats tonneau style, like the Healeys and MG's of the 60's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back