Battery Trouble | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Battery Trouble

• Thread starter Thread starter mike02redbird
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mike02redbird

UPDATE EMAIL ADDRESS
I had a post a few months ago about my alarm always going off when I tried to start the Bird, especially when it had set for awhile. This week we had a day I could take it out (50 degrees and sunny, not bad for Dayton Ohio in January). After sitting in the garage for ten minuets trying to start the car my wife suggested I make the dealership my first stop. The service department was very nice and checked the car at once even with out an appointment, the results for all the other Bird owner is that I had a bad cell in the battery and the car was not getting enough amps to start the car and this was sending the car into an alarm mode, he said this was the second one this week with the same problem, he said that due to the battery being in the trunk that if it was not fully charged it had to far to travel. He said the Lincoln had a few problems with this, he suggested that if I only drive on nice days that I consider a battery tender. Anyway a new battery, no more trouble and I was on my way to enjoy the day. Has any one else had this experience ??

mike02redbird
Red/Red/Full

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Originally posted by mike02redbird:

he suggested that if I only drive on nice days that I consider a battery tender.

Give me a break, you are supposed go out of your way to be able to drive an expensive, technologically advanced piece of machinery on nice days? What did you tell him?

-

Thanks alot for your information.
I haven't had any problems, but like you I have my bird tucked away for the winter and now I will know if I have such a problem.

Mike, I've had my car for over a year, and I drive it only once or twice a month. At times I have even gone a month without driving it. Yet I have never had any problem with the battery. So it really doesn't seem right that you would need a battery tender.

Maybe the new battery will do the trick for you!

-- Paula

Mike, I too have had my car for over a year (14 months to be exact), and like Paula it may sit for a month sometimes especially during the winter. I have not experienced any battery problems at all. The car has 3,100 miles on it now. Sounds like you just got a bad battery. Thats why there is such a thing as warranty. Hope you have better luck with the new battery.

..Lon

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

A month without starting the Bird? I have mine put away in a garage and start it every week and let it run for 20 minutes. Can the battery survive without charging it frequently?

I had my battery go bad in my car about 2 months ago.Bad Cell. Also my hard top seems to rattle a bit now that i've had the car for awhile..The roads aren't the best here.Anyone else noticing this? Iv'e had my tbird one year as of 1/4/02.

ladybarber,

Yes, I've posted many a time that after a few months my hard top started to creak, groan, and rattle. It got slightly better when I put some silicone lubricant up into the area where the front pegs go. But the problem has not completely disappeared. And I'm not sure there's any way to get rid of it, unfortunately.

-- Paula

Another hint....

There has been posts on checking the X member stiffener on the frame. The bolts tend to loosen over time. As we drive a convertible, the frame needed a bit more metal. Have the dealer raise the car the next time in and have them tighten the bolts. I did and it helped with a few rattles and squeaks even in the radio. Crazy, maybe but it worked!

AKBirdie
Alaska

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back