Any good Thunderbird Mechanics in SoCal? | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Any good Thunderbird Mechanics in SoCal?

• Thread starter Thread starter Badazzharley
  • Start date Start date
B

Badazzharley

Click here to upgrade
Reaction score
I have the dreaded overheating problem with my 2002 Bird. It doesn't really overheat, it just goes into limp mode about 5 minutes after starting to drive. I have read so many threads on here about this and the possible causes are endless. The heater control valve is one that a couple of people I have met say fixed their problem. I usually do all my own work but I can't even find the valve location on the car. I really don't want to take it to the local stealership as I have not had good outcomes with them in the past. Is there a good small shop that knows the Thunderbird and it's problems well. Anywhere in SoCal is fine if they know what they are doing. Any help would be so greatly appreciated.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Arnold's Auto Repair, at 1210 E. Broadway, Glendale, CA. 818-243-8356. Ruben in the owner, and has solved all of my TBird problems.....he knows and understands all of the coolant distribution problems and the problems with the many plastic parts....totally honest. He won't disappoint you.

I have the dreaded overheating problem with my 2002 Bird. It doesn't really overheat, it just goes into limp mode about 5 minutes after starting to drive. I have read so many threads on here about this and the possible causes are endless. The heater control valve is one that a couple of people I have met say fixed their problem. I usually do all my own work but I can't even find the valve location on the car. I really don't want to take it to the local stealership as I have not had good outcomes with them in the past. Is there a good small shop that knows the Thunderbird and it's problems well. Anywhere in SoCal is fine if they know what they are doing. Any help would be so greatly appreciated.

The heater control valve is located near the top of the radiator on the passenger side and is not difficult to change. It probably will not correct your problem, just replaced mine and it did not help at all. They are readily available, however, suggest you get the FoMoCo part, as they are no more expensive and many of the Ford dealers sell them online.

I have a 2005 t bird, I had the heater control valve replaced in December, it seems i remember when i would turn the heater on and set the temp, the air would blow out hot and somewhat fast and as temp rised the air flow would slow until desired temp was reached . Then it would keep it there. Now i set the heater to ......75 and the air barely if at all flows and its not very hot. I have played with it and if i turn the temp to 90 it will flow out faster and hotter but not until then. I called mechanic and he doesnt seem to think there's a problem. Am I dilusional or am i not remembering how the heater worked correctly? GRRRRRRRR

Back