Aftermarket Performance Parts Upgrades 2002 2003 2004 2005 Thunderbird

The tone of the Borla varies in the beginning. You should hear the real sound at about the 500 mile mark. I was pleased enough with mine that I skipped the CAI.
I’ve just put right around 500 miles on my Borla’s and yes the sound of them seem to get better and better but I did also use the cold air intake fromK&N typhoon series and I had the stock resonators removed and went with the MagnaFlow high flow cats which will be installed next week and then the following week it’s goes to the tuner with the SCT live wire TS tuner and will get dialed in and ran on the dyno to make all adjustments. After talking to the guy that will be doing my tuning I’m starting to think that the SCT live wire is a very expensive tuner and could have went with a lot less expensive tuner with the same results the piece for the dyno and the the guy creating a custome tune is 300 bucks so I am hoping that this part is worth it he says it will be because the exhaust change and the cold air intake and removal of the resonators and the high flow cats the car will be running lean which he said he will fix all that but I’m excited to find out what the HP will be to the ground after all this has been done

Just figured I would post up for anyone looking to up their performance and really have a great sound, so hear is what I’ve done to mine in the end to get the sound that I wanted through a lot of trial and error, this may help anyone get it right the first time, so to start mine is a 2003 premium thunderbird, so I took the advice on here and 1st put in the cold air intake K&N Typhoon, then I got the SCT live wire tuner which is part number 5051p which is the one that works on the thunderbird, MODERATOR NOTE: The 7015 - X4 Performance Tuner tuner works as well- http://amzn.to/2g8tPMp
then I bought the Borla 140081 touring exhaust cat back, but like most I had the same issue just wasn’t enough so from there I had my custom muffler shop take out the factory resonators, then drove around and I was like ok this sounds great but still not enough sound, so then I asked my muffler guys what else I could do and they stated that high flow cata would help so I shopped around for the best price which was 460 plus tax and got the magna flow direct fit high flow cats, after those were installed it really woke up the exhaust sound and still have that awesome Borla tone which I’m a big fan off. Lastly I wanted a little more so I had the mid cat removed this is the one that’s underneath the car and had stainless pipes and crossover section made. And that did it, the car sounds great it’s a lot louder but not over bearing,still have that great Borla tone through the mufflers and it’s not annoying loud and sounds like a leaking exhaust, it has a nice growl and feet deep tone. So if your looking for a great sound I would first do the cold air intake K&N typhoon, then get the magna flow high flow cats if you go to the magna flow website they have a direct fit system even though I’m only using 2 of the three cats it was still cheaper than buying each one separate. Then use the Borla cat back exhaust 140081 part number, but with this shop around cause all you really need are the Borla mufflers (for extra sound talk to your muffler shop and use a custom muffler shop ) they can put the Borla Ataks on it and that is pretty loud really depends on how much sound you want, for me I stuck with the Borla touring mufflers. The full Borla touring car back system will run you between 800 to as high as almost 1400, I bought mine from amazon and paid less than 900 with taxes and shipping, but since I’m only using the two mufflers, you could save more money by just having the mufflers installed and I had them remove the factory resonators. Lastly I also took out the main cat the one that is underneath the car, but to do that you will need the SCT tuner which gives you the option to turn off rear 02 sensor or you can try a non fouler to screw the 02 sensor in if you don’t have the SCT tuner but the non Foulers don’t always work and will sometimes still throw a code. Also please check your local laws and talk to a honest trust worthy mechanic before doing what I have done so you don’t have any trouble, all in all I have made my exhaust pretty loud when you get on it but even with all of these changes it’s still not over bearing and annoying loud it just sounds good, since I did all of mine by trial and error it cost me a lot more money than if I knew what I was wanting the first go around, could have saved a lot. So 1st K&N cold air then high flow MagnaFlow cats and don’t have the mid car underneath installed them from there have the resonators taken out then lastly put on the Borla mufflers the stainless steel pair will run you about 450 installed and around 580 for the cats. And labor and extra stainless pipe should run you about 300 to 400 for parts and labor maybe less depending on the shop. This is what I’ve done to mine and only posting this cause I wish I would have known this from the start could have saved me a nice nice chunk of change instead of buying all the stuff and in the end not using it all, but I got lucky and sold all the extra stuff and recovered most of the extra money I spent on the parts I did not need, I apologize this is rambling on message me for any questions if my post does it make sense on what I did. Thanks and happy driving

Last edited by a moderator:
I found good dyno man Huntington beach ca. excellent price $350.
performance tune, on rollers
info@powertraindynamics.com
Stephen Redoubt
picked up 10-19 hp thru range, this is beyond sct x4 with internet tune
back to the boots change out now
can't drive yet anyways
waiting for painted fins and lights from kent brown design, retro look
I might like smoothies w caps and rings, comments ? sources? 17 x 7.5 preferred.
possible trade?

don 03 3xblk 33,000

MODERATOR NOTE 2022- Service no Longer Available

The car runs so much better with the cold air intake. I wonder why they have such a bad design where the engine is suffocating. It's not a mpg issue is it?

I've got a TBC Cold Air Intake on my 2002. It sounds beautiful. I've had the car in storage and just transported it to California. I just got back from smog test and the guys asking for an EO number which should be a sticker on aftermarket parts for the intake / pollution systems. I'm struggling to find the number.

I went to the SCT website to purchase the SCT chip and it stated that they do not have a chip for the 2004 Tbird. Thoughts?
Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 12.35.53.png

I went to the SCT website to purchase the SCT chip and it stated that they do not have a chip for the 2004 Tbird. Thoughts?
There was a big lawsuit with the EPA. Any device that has been updated will not work with the Thunderbird anymore. You have to get a used one that hasn't been updated and has the tune loaded already. :-(

I guess I'm in the "leave it alone" camp with my '02.....$400 for a tuner (won't even discuss the Borla $$$) to get what, a 10% horsepower boost on a 230hp engine ? So, you're at 250hp approx, 260hp maybe ? Does anybody have actual dyno numbers or other stats ?

The car's are anemic compared to my Corvettes but I love them as "relaxed" boulevard cruisers...
@Whiz @Georgia Cat and many other members have put in the Borla Exhaust and love it-

https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...exhaust-system-original-2004.9147/#post-57918

Just installed my K&N to go with my Borla Exhaust. The exhaust note is just fine and with the K&N, you can hear the rush of air into the engine. Had a small issue while installing the K&N but some engineering of existing valve venting hose it looks and runs like it should. Next step is the SCT while in carintine.

Going to have Flowmaster's put on Thursday. I LOVE my straight pipes...but the wife doesn't. End of story. (-:

Flowmaster's better than I anticipated. Best of all, quiet when they need to be.

My black 2002 has cold air intake, Borla exhaust and a complete new suspension Every component). Rides like a million bucks and has awesome acceleration when needed and stops when you want it to.. Sound of exhaust is beautiful when needed and subtle when cruising. My 2004 Pacific Coast is bone stock and you can really tell the difference in the performance components.

I'm 3 years on the Borlas and must say I really like it's characteristics and mellow sound

The SCT website doesn't show that they support the 2002-2005 Thunderbirds although they do list the Lincoln LSs. I'm just wondering what those with the newer SCT X4 have used for a tune on their T Bird. Do the tunes for the LS work for our Birds?

I had purchased the XCalibrator 2 many years ago and at that time the dealer I went through(now long gone) provided 3 different tunes, none of which worked without issues as far as generating codes like too lean, too rich, etc. The XCalibrator 2 is way out of date and no longer supported, so I'm very interested to hear about recent developments and what's working vs what's not. The SCT website isn't too detailed on exactly what you can accomplish without being a programming pro with these things and if they don't support us, what's the point?

I'd like to hear detailed success stories on using the SCT X4.

Thanks

The SCT website doesn't show that they support the 2002-2005 Thunderbirds although they do list the Lincoln LSs. I'm just wondering what those with the newer SCT X4 have used for a tune on their T Bird. Do the tunes for the LS work for our Birds?

I had purchased the XCalibrator 2 many years ago and at that time the dealer I went through(now long gone) provided 3 different tunes, none of which worked without issues as far as generating codes like too lean, too rich, etc. The XCalibrator 2 is way out of date and no longer supported, so I'm very interested to hear about recent developments and what's working vs what's not. The SCT website isn't too detailed on exactly what you can accomplish without being a programming pro with these things and if they don't support us, what's the point?

I'd like to hear detailed success stories on using the SCT X4.

Thanks
THere was an EPA Lawsuit and they had to remove all the preloaded tunes on the devices which is why it doesn't show support and why we did a strikethrough on post one.

Found this intake for an 02.
I bought one of these. Ultra cheap. That should have been a red flag right there. However, I was able to salvage the filter and the plate that it attaches to. I simply installed the plate onto the factory tube (right in front of the MAS) and attached the filter to the mounting plate. I used a couple of aluminum strips in the kit to make a bracket to keep the filter assembly from shaking so much. Of course, you have to remove the factory airbox to achieve this. The aluminum tubes that come with the kit DO NOT have the correct size hose connections. You are supposed to improvise on your own. JJG

Back