2005 Sudden Hard misfire on Cylinder 4

PLE999
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The Blackbird suddenly started misfiring. The computer says it is #4, but it feels like more. My (independent) mechanic can't get to it for a week. He says not to drive it at all because it "could blow the catalytic converter"

Is that a true statement?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The Blackbird suddenly started misfiring. The computer says it is #4, but it feels like more. My (independent) mechanic can't get to it for a week. He says not to drive it at all because it "could blow the catalytic converter"

Is that a true statement?
The technician's statement is correct. A misfire in the engine or a flashing check engine light will cause the car to judder and it will sound rough. Continued driving could overheat and damage the catalytic converter.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Your title "2005 50th Anniversary Edition - COP claims another victim. Catalytic converter, too?" Has been revised.

On a side note, your car is could have been manufactured 17-18 years ago. It's very common for cars, even newer ones to have valve cover leaks and then foul out spark plugs and/or coils on the plugs. If you did have a problem with your COPS please note, the COPS thread notes:
You may also have a problem with your cowl seal, wiper seal or valve cover gasket, which is causing the coils to fail! You can read more about that in this post. If you have coils problems after a few days/weeks/months it's likely not the coil, but an additional problem.

Driving a car with a misfire for an extended period of time can burn out your CATS because there is the gasoline that passes through that is not burned by the engine. You can google this topic for more details as it is the same for all cars. I would say that since you noted your misfire is hard, this is why the mechanic said not to drive it and I suggest you listen to them.

Back