2005 rough idle reprogram question

Motorman27
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
2005 bird, ran hot found a hairline crack in thermostat housing. Being a shade tree (at best) mechanic I removed the throttle bottle to make more room to work (prolly didn't need to.) Replaced the housing and started it up. Started right a way but idles rough. have not tried to drive it yet. Do I need to have some sort of reprogram done cause I had the throttle bottle disconnected, or any idea what is causing rough idle. (By rough, it idles almost like a miss and almost shuts down.

I had a coolant leak
2005 bird, ran hot found a hairline crack in thermostat housing. Being a shade tree (at best) mechanic I removed the throttle bottle to make more room to work (prolly didn't need to.) Replaced the housing and started it up. Started right a way but idles rough. have not tried to drive it yet. Do I need to have some sort of reprogram done cause I had the throttle bottle disconnected, or any idea what is causing rough idle. (By rough, it idles almost like a miss and almost shuts down.
I had a coolant leak on my 03. I changed the thermostat assy and the plastic transfer tube that connects the housing assy to the block. I removed my throttle body also to do all of this, it was necessary to remove the transfer tube. Had no problems with leaks or idle. Maybe just a crazy happening that it is a coil or plug that has nothing to do with the cooling system. Make sure you put back all connectors on throttle body. There should be no re programming that I am aware of

Yes on that motorized throttle body you will need to reprogram it. It needs to be re-calibrated. You may need a new gasket.
First, UN-PLUG the harness and remove the T/B Carefully clean it with T/B cleaner and a tooth brush. It can then be reinstalled.
DO NOT get you finger in there with the harness connected. The motor will cut it clean off!
The computer needs to Know the closed idle values. It can also affect shift points in the transmission.
To Re-calibrate. Disconnect the Neg Battery Cable. Cover the Ned Battery post with a rag.
Using a jumper wire connect the Pos Battery Post to the Negitive Cable ....for about a minute or so, this will drain the capacitors. This will drain/ erase the memory from the PCM.
Now you can re connect the battery.
All accessories must be off.
Turn the key to the on Position. let the cluster Prove out and all lights come on. this gives the T/B time to Fully Sweep to wide open and back to idle.
Start the car Let it run and warm up 15 min as it learns the cold to full hot values.
It will learn the throttle angle and the desired RPM.
This can be monitored with you scan tool if you have one .
Let the car run for another 10 minuets as it learns the proper idle trim .....
Now take it for a test run ........ It will relearn as you drive....

Have you checked for vacuum leak? If so what is the vacuum reading?

UPDATE: My last post I was under the weather a little and taking a break from my repair and rough idle problem. Well, as of yesterday I'm back among the living. I re-read the info you guys were nice enough to send but decided before I start I'd check everything. Long story short, I discovered a small plastic ribbed hose about 9 inches long going from the right valve cover to the throttle body. I found a break in the plastic hose. Installed a new one, fired her up and she purred like a kitten. Hard to believe that's what caused the problem but after a good test drive temp. was normal and no problems. I want to thank you guys again for your responses, good to know I have help out there.

Back