2005 panel lcd dim

Earthrider
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Why do the readouts for the odometer, radio and heat/ ac dim so much during daytime when the headlights are on despite adjustment of the panel dimmer control wheel which is functioning correctly? At night it’s not an issue hence telling me that the photocell sensor is functioning as well.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Why do the readouts for the odometer, radio and heat/ ac dim so much during daytime when the headlights are on despite adjustment of the panel dimmer control wheel which is functioning correctly? At night it’s not an issue hence telling me that the photocell sensor is functioning as well.
You have a good question most of the Tbird owners have considered. Meanwhile, next to your panel dimer switch is another switch. Turn that off during the day. Then you can read everything including the time.

Hey thanks for the reply Larry!
Yes, that what you say is true however in my case they dim drastically when I switch on the either the running lights or headlights in the daytime despite any settings of the dimmer thumb wheel or the timer dial directly left of that. At night, no issue. I even cut in half a ping pong ball, painted it flat black and placed it over the photo cell sensor on the top of the dash to no avail. Any other ideas, lemme’ have it please.
Jack

You have a good question most of the Tbird owners have considered. Meanwhile, next to your panel dimer switch is another switch. Turn that off during the day. Then you can read everything including the time.
do you mean headlight switch? that's the only switch left of dimmer switch.

I just purchased a 2004 and have the same issues. The ping pong ball idea is good, but if the sensor has failed to the night position, it does not matter if it is covered or not. My headlights are on all the time during the day and dash lights are dim. The dash lights brighten when the light switch is off or manually on. This was discussed in another thread https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/2002-t-bird-autolamp-functionality.8441/
I'm thinking my photo sensor should be replaced. RockAuto.com lists them, but say they are out of stock....

Back