2003 Headlight Switch Replacement

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
nicholson2003Tbird

nicholson2003Tbird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Good Day to all Tbird members,

This is my first post, and I hope to receive some feedback.

How do you remove this panel without breaking the tabs, to remove?
Do you push down or out on the tabs etc.

MODERATOR NOTE: Purchase the switch here-
Sw-5530.jpg

Tbird Headlight Switch.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Plastic trim removal tools are the best investment one can make. I have used mine for all kinds of jobs. They are not expensive either. Good luck with your endeavors. JJG

Where do you have the autolamp control set to? The farther counter clockwise you have the autolamp control set, the longer the headlamps will stay illuminated. When the autolamp control set is set fully counter clockwise, the headlamps can stay on for up to three minutes.

Problems caused by a defective FEM are; dash illumination problems (including no shifter light), head lights not working, front turn signal problems, driver’s side window not dropping when the door opens, no wipers, no horn, the oil light is on, the convertible top not working properly, the power steering is stiff with code C1925 or a shift interlock malfunction.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Autolamp Control.jpg

The auto light setting is at the lowest setting. I drove for 4 hours with the switch at the lowest setting and headlights were on entire time during daylight. I have the same switch on a 2004 Crown Vic. It works as you described. The T Bird just never cycles off unless I turn it to the off position.

So based on your description of symptoms of a failing FEM I may have a bad headlight switch? Maybe?

The autolamps are controlled by the headlamp switch, autolamp sensor, instrument cluster, FEM and REM. When the headlamp switch is in the autolamp position, the instrument cluster sends an on or off command to the FEM and REM, depending on the signal from the autolamp sensor. The FEM and REM process this information and output the appropriate command to the headlamps and parking lamps.

Unless your autolamp sensor is covered up by something, it looks like your autolamp sensor may be defective.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Light Sensor.jpg

Back