2005, P2104 code. help please

S
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hey Everyone. So over the last two weeks i have done everything i know to do, and no sucess.
I have a P2104 code, and thats it. no other codes are popping up at all.
What is happening: The car runs and drives great, however when i give it a good amount of throttle, the car shows the wrench, goes into limp mode, and gives me only p2104.
Heres the thing, it does it with the car not running as well. I can just turn the key to the on position, and "goose" the throttle, and it goes into limp mode with it not even running..

What ive done so far. Replaced the TPS sensor twice, replaced the throttle pedal assembly, swapped throttle bodies, check all my wiring. changed plugs and cops (even though it does it with the car off)

I cannot for the life of me figure out what to check next. It has to have something to do with a sensor or something related to throttle, as it does it while not running. but what could it be!!???

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Scott

Car, 2005

I once had a very closely related code P2106. Tried everything you did and no joy. Finally replaced the #$%@&*%$ PCM and that solved the problem! Hope that is not your case since removing, replacing, and re-programming a rebuilt PCM (if you can even find one) is expensive, usually well over $1,500 for parts and labor. If a Ford dealer does it, tack on another 30% over what a good retro Bird shop will charge!

I once had a very closely related code P2106. Tried everything you did and no joy. Finally replaced the #$%@&*%$ PCM and that solved the problem! Hope that is not your case since removing, replacing, and re-programming a rebuilt PCM (if you can even find one) is expensive, usually well over $1,500 for parts and labor. If a Ford dealer does it, tack on another 30% over what a good retro Bird shop will charge!
Oh man. that would suck. lets hope its not that.... but im running out of options...
After doing the work did you clear the CEL and then try it?
i did yes. thank you.

Hey Everyone. So over the last two weeks i have done everything i know to do, and no sucess.
I have a P2104 code, and thats it. no other codes are popping up at all.
What is happening: The car runs and drives great, however when i give it a good amount of throttle, the car shows the wrench, goes into limp mode, and gives me only p2104.
Heres the thing, it does it with the car not running as well. I can just turn the key to the on position, and "goose" the throttle, and it goes into limp mode with it not even running..

What ive done so far. Replaced the TPS sensor twice, replaced the throttle pedal assembly, swapped throttle bodies, check all my wiring. changed plugs and cops (even though it does it with the car off)

I cannot for the life of me figure out what to check next. It has to have something to do with a sensor or something related to throttle, as it does it while not running. but what could it be!!???

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Scott

Car, 2005
Several posts on this code have been posted over the years. You should leverage the search page and search this forum for P2104 and you will see these posts:

Have you replaced your COPS and/or Valve cover gasket? Also the throttle body can cause it as noted below:

Ok, Well it has now been over a year, and I still have not been able to fix it. Granted i have not messed with it much more. But if i give it throttle quickly the cars service light comes on, p2104 forced idle, and wont respond to throttle until a shut the car off and crank it back up then it runs normally unless i give it throttle quickly. if i rev it slow it works fine. only when i quickly add throttle it goes into limp mode. any more tips or ideas to check?

According to ALLDATA, the probable causes of fault code P2104 are a faulty Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor, Electronic Temperature Control System with multiple DTC codes or a defective Powertrain Control Module.

Since you stated that you cleared the fault codes and only fault code P2104 returns, that would rule out the Electronic Temperature Control System. To test the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor, you have to follow pinpoint test QE.

P2104 5.jpg
QE1 asks if any other DTCs are present other than P2104, P2105, P2106 or P2110. Since you only have fault code P2104, you need to go to pinpoint test QE4.

P2104 2.jpg
QE4 asks if there are any DTCs stored in any other control modules. If the answer is no, you need to go to pinpoint test QE5.

P2104 3.jpg

QE5 asks if there are any communication concerns or communication DTCs stored in any other control module. If the answer is no, you need to go to pinpoint test QE6.

P2104 4.jpg

QE6 asks if after clearing the Powertrain Control Module DTCs are there any other DTCs stored other that DTC P2104. Since the answer is no, it looks like you need to inatall a new Powertrain Control Module or have yours rebuilt.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

P2104 1.png

I have been battling this 2104 code for over a year now. To give a brief recap, Car runs and drives great UNTIL you give it lots of gas, then the service wrench and CEL come on with code P2104. As you can imagine pulling out in traffic etc can be quite scary when the car just goes into forced idle.
So far i have:
New pedal assembly
New throttle body,
MAF, TPS, PLUGS COPS,
Brought to a dealership where they pinned out the wires and said it was all fine and their computer showed it was the pedal, which we repalced and did same thing.
So where the heck do i go with it now???
Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
I posted around June of 2021 all of my difficulties getting a rebuilt PCM., which it sounds like your car needs.
Long story short, I ordered (1) from ProTech in Florida which didn't work and they took it back, (2) from Flagship One, neither one worked and finally was referred to Auto Computer Exchange in Davie, Fla. 954-999-2305 Richard. (the invoice was Auto Module Source). They built a re-flashed module with old and new parts, I paid $1,090 and had my local mechanic put it in. The car has never run better.
Best of luck

Back