2005 Multi function/turnsignal removal help

G

Gunther10

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Greetings all. My turn signals quit working several weeks ago just before my inspection sticker expired, which is a bummer, but I knew I needed tires and wanted the transmission fluid and filter changed anyway so I figured I had a bad bulb or such and dropped her off at my locali friendly FOMOCO dealer to get-'er-done. You guessed it, got the call and the service writer said B-1875 appeared as a trouble code and they were looking at the multi function switch and FEM, and just those two would run around $2500. I paid the $150 for inspection and labor and took her home. Got an OBD-II, did some homework, saw that it "could" be the problem. Started eliminating possibilities over a couple of weeks then took it out a few days ago just for grins, adjusted the steering wheel and the turn signals started working. Adjusted the wheel several times and found a sweet spot where they work. Obviously a loose connection. Has anyone disassembled the steering wheel column shroud/housing? I looked on YouTube but didn't see anything. I don't have a digital/DVD manual...yet. Any opinions of a good one? I'd like to see/hear experiences before I break a tab, pull a wire, or generally mess something up by just diving in. I love this machine and want to get intimate with her but with knowledge aforethought. Any help is deeply appreciated.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

When my FEM went bad, all of the problems I had were intermittent. Some days they would work and then, no. I had wipers go off, oil light, steering issue, radio, driver side window drop, headlights going out in the middle of the night, etc. If you have a diagnosed bad FEM, good luck. Either way you have 15+ year old electronics and you will need it replaced soon anyway.

I have replaced the clock spring, and basically same procedure to replace multi function switch. Have to remove air bag, then
pull steering wheel, once steering wheel is pulled multi function switch easy to get to. Just do not let the clock spring get
unwound, or you will have to replace it also.

You may have to buy a used steering column off ebay to get a good multi function switch. I believe a steering column from a
2003 up works, a Lincoln LS or T Bird column works.

Back