2005 Lost Throttle Control

M
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
2005 electronic throttle control, the car lost all power and the wrench icon lit up on the dash. After restarting the car regained enough power to drive slowly.

Please include the model year of your car in the subject on future posts. Thanks for posting.

Did your car go into limp mode?

Invest in OBDII scanner tool. They are as cheap as $16 on Amazon. Another useful one is Scangauge scangauge.com

If you can get the code off the OBDII then you usually can narrow it down fast as to the real problem.

I have the same problem. Had coils replaced but got a code that spurred a throttle actuator replacement. No improvement. Put the old part back in and got a new computer installed. Same issue. Running out of ideas. Ford Dealership stumped and well respected local mechanic stumped.

I have an ‘03 that has intermittent issues with the electronic throttle control as well. It doesn’t happen every time, but it does happen frequently. Typically after driving for a few minutes, the wrench light will illuminate and the car will go in to limp mode. It still drives decent, but the car certainly doesn’t accelerate like normal.

I have found that killing the engine and restarting it, will typically make it go away for the duration of the drive, which is typically a short one around town. But it keeps coming back. Not sure if related, but my ABS light is lit up as well.

I have searched this forum for months about the electronic throttle control issue (wrench light warning) and it seems to be one of the few without a good answer. Would love to be able to nail down the source of the issue, so I can get it fixed. Anyone? Bueller?

Back