2005 Intermittent power loss to air conditioning controls

LD Silver Bullet

LD Silver Bullet

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello all, any experience on this issue is much appreciated. We are experiencing intermittent total power loss to the AC / Heater controls. This only happens about 1 out of 15 times upon start up. System can be working perfectly while driving to a destination and upon return and start of the vehicle there is absolutely no power to the AC controls... living in South Texas make this very uncomfortable. All other systems work excellent and despite the higher mileage, the car is in excellent condition. I have had the AC services several time by a very good local shop, but they have not been able to recreate the issue while the car is at the shop. Hoping a fellow owner has experienced and solved this issue. Thank you.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Haven't seen this problem before, but you want to rule out the FEM. Any issues with the dash lights or shift indicator light?

P.S. i shorten your title. No need to include "Thunderbird", we are an all Thunderbird site.

I have been wondering about the FEM as well. I haven't had any issue with dash lights or shift indicator... all systems work perfectly with this one exception. I have looked through the forums and have not seen any discussion on this topic, but the FEM is a common discussion issue and makes me wonder if that is the issue. Thank you for the quick reply.

The first thing to do is an A/C module diagnosis. there are 2 self-tests shown below.

Front Panel DATC Module Self-Test (On-demand Diagnostic Trouble Codes — DTCs)

On-demand DTCs are those that are reported by an ECU when a failure is detected while executing a diagnostic test. For the DATC module this means that all faults (hard) that occur while the module is conducting a self-test shall be reported asan on-demand DTC.

• The DATC module self-test will not detect concerns associated with data link messages such as engine coolant temperature or vehicle speed signals. The scan tool must be used to retrieve these concerns.
  • The vehicle interior temperature should be between 0-32°C (32-90°F) when carrying out the self-test. If the temperatures are not within the specified ranges, false temperature sensor DTCs may be displayed.
The DATC module self-test through the front panel display:

• can be initiated at any time. Normal operation of the system stops when the self-test is activated.
  • is entered by pressing the OFF and DEFROST buttons simultaneously and then pressing the AUTO button within two seconds. Record all DTCs displayed.
  • concludes by reporting all on-demand DTCs. Follow the diagnostics procedure given under ACTION in the DTC index for each DTC given.
  • reports individual on-demand DTCs as four-digit DTCs (less the alpha character).
  • will calibrate all the mode doors and check all analog inputs. The DATC module will only report on-demand (hard) faults that occurred while the DATC module was conducting its self-test.
  • will light all control panel display segments if no faults are detected.
  • will report individual on-demand DTCs without the °C symbol lit.
To exit the self-test, press any button. This will clear all on-demand codes from the DATC module memory. If no button is pushed, DTCs will continue to be displayed.

Upon exit from the self-test the DATC module returns to operational status. The DATC module executes a hard (cold boot) reset which places the DATC system in the OFF mode.

If a condition exists but no DTCs appear during the self-test, GO to Symptom Chart, Condition: The DATC System Is Inoperative, Intermittent or Incorrect Operation.

Always exit the self-test before powering the system down (system turned OFF).

Front Panel DATC Module Display — Retrieve Continuous Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)

Continuous DTCs are fault codes recorded by the DATC module which have occurred during normal operation. For the DATC module this means that all faults (intermittent or hard) that occur while the module is in an operational state shall bereported as a continuous DTC.

• To retrieve continuous DTCs, press the OFF and DEFROST buttons simultaneously, followed by pressing the RECIRC button within two seconds.
  • The DATC module will report all continuous DTCs to the vacuum fluorescent (VF) display.
  • The DATC module will not carry out a self-test; it will only display continuous faults codes which are stored in memory.
  • All VF display segments will light if no faults are detected.
  • Individual continuous DTCs will be reported with the °C symbol lit.
  • DTCs shall be reported as a four-digit DTC (less the alpha character).
  • Pressing the front defrost button will exit the retrieve continuous DTCs mode and clear all continuous DTCs from DATC module memory.
  • Pressing any other button (other than DEFROST) will exit the retrieve continuous DTCs mode and maintain all continuous DTCs in DATC module memory.
  • Upon exit from the retrieve continuous DTCs mode the DATC module returns to operational status. The DATC module executes a hard (cold boot) reset which places the DATC system in the OFF mode.

Thank you for the concise and complete information. I'll be running through this with my AC service shop... will report back on the results.

I am also having this issue with the AC (haven't checked the heat--too darn hot now! LOL!). Has anyone figured this one out yet?

Luvmybrd too! I still have not taken our car to the shop to run through the recommended diagnostics. Since this post, I have not had the issue reoccur. I am not sure if this is the reason, but I have started turning the air conditioner off prior to shutting down the car and turning it back on once the car is started and has a chance to run through the initial start-up elevated idle.... since I have been doing this, the problem has subsided. fingers crossed!

Hello all, any experience on this issue is much appreciated. We are experiencing intermittent total power loss to the AC / Heater controls. This only happens about 1 out of 15 times upon start up. System can be working perfectly while driving to a destination and upon return and start of the vehicle there is absolutely no power to the AC controls... living in South Texas make this very uncomfortable. All other systems work excellent and despite the higher mileage, the car is in excellent condition. I have had the AC services several time by a very good local shop, but they have not been able to recreate the issue while the car is at the shop. Hoping a fellow owner has experienced and solved this issue. Thank you.
Hello, I had a similar issue with the AC and fan on my 2005. Did the stop start thing occasionally over 2 years, often with months of not playing up at all. Then it started happening regularly. Turned out to be the fan blower resistor failing, which is situated under the glove box. Supposed to be a dashboard out job, however there is a work around by way of cutting a hole in the side of the fan blower box. If you search under 'fan blower resistor' you should be able to find better details on solving this.
Ian

Hello, I had a similar issue with the AC and fan on my 2005. Did the stop start thing occasionally over 2 years, often with months of not playing up at all. Then it started happening regularly. Turned out to be the fan blower resistor failing, which is situated under the glove box. Supposed to be a dashboard out job, however there is a work around by way of cutting a hole in the side of the fan blower box. If you search under 'fan blower resistor' you should be able to find better details on solving this.
Ian
Thanks Ian! This sounds like something I can take on myself. As soon as we have some cool weather will tackle it... may be November :) .

Back