2005 Horn won't stop blowing after wheel tilt | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2005 Horn won't stop blowing after wheel tilt

• Thread starter Thread starter gwigg
  • Start date Start date
gwigg
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I've always had problems with the battery draining but this is something completely mind blowing. I replaced the battery a month ago and everything was going well. I went out today to start it up and the battery was dead. I charged it for an hour and everything seemed ok. I checked the turn signals and they didn't work. I used the power button to moved the steering wheel up and down and when I put on the right signal the left turn signal came on when I put on the left signal nothing happened. When I put on the 4 way flashers the running lights came on but not the turn signals. I moved the steering wheel to the bottom position and the horn started blowing and will not go off. I disconnected the battery and logged into the forum. any ideas?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The horn will blow when the battery is low. Has something to do with the alarm. Try a different battery, sometimes you get a bad one. If your sure it's a good one, fully charge it and check operations again. If issues persist pull fuses one at a time and see where the drain is coming from. Is the dome light going off? It's common for door/trunk/hood switches to get stuck keeping the dome on.

The horn will blow when the battery is low. Has something to do with the alarm. Try a different battery, sometimes you get a bad one. If your sure it's a good one, fully charge it and check operations again. If issues persist pull fuses one at a time and see where the drain is coming from. Is the dome light going off? It's common for door/trunk/hood switches to get stuck keeping the dome on.
There are lights inside the trunk and the glove box (and maybe one under the hood, I'm not sure)....

Take your smart phone and set it to record video and separately place it under the hood, in the trunk and in the glove box...close each of these up, then open them and retrieve the phone and play the video back from each location - the recording should go dark when the individual compartment was closed and the light went out.

I've always had problems with the battery draining but this is something completely mind blowing. I replaced the battery a month ago and everything was going well. I went out today to start it up and the battery was dead. I charged it for an hour and everything seemed ok. I checked the turn signals and they didn't work. I used the power button to moved the steering wheel up and down and when I put on the right signal the left turn signal came on when I put on the left signal nothing happened. When I put on the 4 way flashers the running lights came on but not the turn signals. I moved the steering wheel to the bottom position and the horn started blowing and will not go off. I disconnected the battery and logged into the forum. any ideas?
I had a battery issue recently and I replace the battery. It was no longer charging because the alternator was not changing it. I had AutoZone check the charge rate and it was way too low. I ended up with a new generator

Last edited by a moderator:
Autozone will load check it for you in the car. You can also put a multimeter across the battery terminals and at a brisk idle the system should be running at 13.8V to 14.2V if the alternator is good....very simple to check...

Autozone will load check it for you in the car. You can also put a multimeter across the battery terminals and at a brisk idle the system should be running at 13.8V to 14.2V if the alternator is good....very simple to check...
I have an fm transmitter that shows battery voltage. When the car is off it reads 12.5 and when the engine is running it says 14.6. when the alternator was bad it was reading in the 12 volt range. That's when I had it checked, then replaced

I’m charging the battery and will try again tomorrow. I appreciate all the comments I have received. I’m going to pull the Fuze on the horn before I reconnect the battery. I will give an update.

I’m charging the battery and will try again tomorrow. I appreciate all the comments I have received. I’m going to pull the Fuze on the horn before I reconnect the battery. I will give an update.
How many days/weeks was the car parked and not driven? There are 6 or more modules alive and draining the battery all the time when parked.
A trickle charger is a must, when not driving for a week or more.

Ok so I charged the battery overnight it’s 100 % I pulled the horn fuse and reconnected the battery. It started right up. A few up and down of the windows reset them. The gauges work and everything but the turn signals work. The steering wheel reset on it’s own. I replaced the horn fuse and all is well except if I put the steering wheel all the way down. I suspect a short in the steering column. A mechanic friend of mine said he had heard of a problem in the column. I’m going to check for codes and then go from there.

Back