2004 - wrench and engine light on dash

paulrl

paulrl

paulrl
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The last time I was out for a drive the Tbird kept slowing down until it was almost stopped. There was a wrench lit up on the dash. I pulled over, shut it of, restarted it. The wrench light was not on. I drove about 10 miles and the same thing happened. It drove fine in between. This time when I restarted it, the engine light on the dash came on and stayed on. I drove the 20 miles home. Parked it. Light was still on. I seem to remember it shifting a bit rough before the first incident but ran and shifted smooth otherwise.

Need to put the scanner on it, easiest
The last time I was out for a drive the Tbird kept slowing down until it was almost stopped. There was a wrench lit up on the dash. I pulled over, shut it of, restarted it. The wrench light was not on. I drove about 10 miles and the same thing happened. It drove fine in between. This time when I restarted it, the engine light on the dash came on and stayed on. I drove the 20 miles home. Parked it. Light was still on. I seem to remember it shifting a bit rough before the first incident but ran and shifted smooth otherwise.
Use. A scanner to pin down the issue.....

Exactly what @biddle suggests. Exact same sequence on my 2005, only the interlude left me about 200 mi from home.
Order some of the COPs and plugs and keep spares. OR, have dealer do it for $$$.
Incidentally, I needed a DEQ test two weeks later, passed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your problem is a result of one or possibly more than coil- on-plug failure creating mid- firing which the Powertrain Control Module keeps track of. When the mis-firing exceeds a threshold the wrench light comes on & the car goes into limp mode to get you to service.

The onboard computer will tell you what it thinks is wrong. Go to an auto parts place like Autozone and ask them to read the code and their understanding of what it means. (Free Service) Then report results here. You will get plenty of experienced advice.

Paul, I just went through the same thing as many others on this forum have gone through. The code it gave was throttle body control and control module. After taking it to my independent garage twice and them test driving and not getting the check engine light or wrench light to illuminate I took it home. On the way home the lights came back!! I followed many recommendations from this forum and installed new COPS and Autolite Iridium spark plugs. So far, so good. Runs better than when I bought it. It has 35k miles. BTW, the COPS, recommended by our moderator are great for the price through Amazon.

I changed them all about 10000 miles ago.

You should go ahead and change the valve cover gaskets, too.COPs can fail because of oil leak allowing oil to pool beneath them. Water could also be getting in, too, possibly from leakage from the wiper gasket, or from diving through deep puddles.TBH, I still need to change the wiper gasket,too. Anything pooling around the plugs is bad. Then make sure the COPs covers are secured/sealed properly. Snug them down. Oh, and put the top down, winter's over, at least in El Paso! 82° today, bright and sunny.

I got a P2106 code which I looked up as a throttle body control sensor. I changed it and it ran fine but then the light came back on. I watched another video and it says a faulty abs sensor can affect it also. My abs and traction control lights are also on, so I’m going to replace them first.
Had the same problem. My code reader also reads ABS issues it was the left rear wheel abs sensor. Took about 15 minutes to replace.

I got a P2106 code which I looked up as a throttle body control sensor. I changed it and it ran fine but then the light came back on. I watched another video and it says a faulty abs sensor can affect it also. My abs and traction control lights are also on, so I’m going to replace them first.
Hi, I have the same issues. Have you replaced the ABS sensors & Traction Control Sensors?
If so where are they located & cost, Thanks Dale

Hi, I have the same issues. Have you replaced the ABS sensors & Traction Control Sensors?
If so where are they located & cost, Thanks Dale
Click the words above that are hyperlinks. All this is answered in those posts. You need to purchase a service DVD as well to do repairs on your car and find directions, locations etc.

Back