2004 paint question | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2004 paint question

• Thread starter Thread starter BLUDICE
  • Start date Start date
BLUDICE
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I assume our cars have a “coat” / “clear coat” paint job on them - I wasn’t able to find the “tag” that give the paint info, but my car is bright red and came with a “touch-up” bottle in the glove box. My impression is the factory paint job is average with a fair share of flaws. Am I being unfair?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I assume our cars have a “coat” / “clear coat” paint job on them - I wasn’t able to find the “tag” that give the paint info, but my car is bright red and came with a “touch-up” bottle in the glove box. My impression is the factory paint job is average with a fair share of flaws. Am I being unfair?
On my 04 the hood faded around the outer edges as if something was lying on it and rubbed the paint off, however nothing was ever placed anywhere on the hood.

My body shop guy says not to use touch up paint on cars. All paint fades and it will not match.

Also, the car is used so judging paint quality after 18+ years is not a real measurement of a paint quality.

I can tell you as the original owner of my 04 mint green. I never had any issues with the paint. Mine has always been a second car and garaged for most of 17 years I have owned it which I'm sure certainly made a huge difference

"paint 2fix" is a 4 step scratch touch up kit. about $40. Even has a "clear coat" step. Best i have ever used.

I have had no issue with colour matching using the touch up paint from Ford. Despite that, I have stopped touching up every little tiny nick and stone chip. My rationale is that although the touch up paint is a great match (red) it is impossible to get the paint to lay flat and smooth so your eye is really drawn to these dots, etc. My T’bird is always garaged, rarely sees rain, and is not winter driven so I am not worried about corrosion. I have a complete polishing set up from Chemical Guys so my paint looks as good as 2002 despite the tiny chips.

I have had no issue with colour matching using the touch up paint from Ford.
Paint fades, especially after almost 20 years. You may not notice, but it's not the same color as the touch up paint. When people wreck cars, they actually have to take color samples of the faded paint match it.

I bought this Chemical Guys Kit and made my cars look brand new! https://amzn.to/3KH0lDV

The color code on your car is D3/M7042. The color name is Colorado Red/Torch Red.

I have used Doctor Color Chip, because I like how you can level the paint in the chip or scratch. Then you blend away the excess paint and seal the repair.

You can purchase the basic kit from them for $44.95. At that price its worth a try.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back