1. Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here.

Click the "X" to the right to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Top 10 Ford Thunderbird Gift List! Click here.

Dismiss Notice

2004 LED Tail lights?

Discussion in '2002 - 2005 Ford Thunderbird' started by Tbrding, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Has anyone succeeded in installing LED Turn signal/tail lights on a 2004 T-Bird? Without getting the "lamp out" alarm? Without rapid flashing lamps? If so, what part number LED lamps and what resistors (ohms and watts) were used, and how were they wired?

2. It's okay guys... I figured it out.
    All my exterior lamps are now LED (except the head lamps & hi-mount brake lamp)

JW in Dixie and John Hayman like this.
  3. TOMMYH

TOMMYH Active Member Gold Donor

NEW TO FORUM.COULD YOU EXPLAIN WHAT YOU DID, I WOULD LIKE TO COVERT TO LED

JW in Dixie and John Hayman like this.
  4. cedarbird2

cedarbird2 Active Member VIP Donor

Yes what did you do; I have LED brake lights / back up too, and it shows lamp out but the lights work great very bright now

JW in Dixie likes this.
  5. TOMMYH

TOMMYH Active Member Gold Donor

IT LOOKS LIKE WE ARE ON OUR OWN !

6. JW in Dixie

JW in Dixie Well-Known Member Lifetime Donor

What part #/brand lamps did you use? Thx

7. JW in Dixie

PLEASE tell us what brand/part # lamps did you use and how did you kill the "light out" notice? THX

Gwiz16 likes this.
  8. JMac4506

JMac4506 Active Member Lifetime Donor

Ok... I think I got the fix for this...
    50 watt 6 ohm aluminum chassis resistors mounted parallel to the flashing signal leads.
    I just ordered 4 of these. Will let you know when they arrive and I get installed!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/141653649066

constable and JW in Dixie like this.
  9. JW in Dixie

10. JMac4506

I have my tail lights all wired and switched to LEDs. Have also gotten the CE light to stay off from the LED lamp issue.
    Bit of a pain in the ass and I want to watch it a while before converting the front lights as well.
    I had to use 2 of those 50watt resistors on each lamp. (One for turn signal/Brake light and one for the running lights)
    My only concern is the resistors got pretty warm, as they should under load. I want to give these a week or so and see if the temperature gets to a point of melting any of the plastic in my tail light assemblies.
    So in order to change the light s over AND keep the CE light from coming on, you will need 8 of those resistors.
    Will let you know in a week if the heat doesn't seem to be an issue.

Let me know if you need a schematic for this.

Pacific-Coast likes this.
  11. JMac4506

Well guys... I HAD LED lights for one day. It seems my resistor heat concern had merit.
    In just one evening of driving, start stop traffic, turn signals, waiting at stop lights...
    The resistor for the turn signal become so hot it melted into my tail light assembly.
    So please DON'T add these to your car unless you run some very long wires and can mount the resistors in a location that does not mind heat!!!!
    I cut the resistors out and put the filament lamps back in :(

12. JW in Dixie

Could you wire the parking LEDs in series? Any way to use a Zener diode?

13. Only buy and use "CANBUS ERROR FREE" LED light bulbs as they have resistors built into the units, and the lights will go out when you turn them off (no faint glow 24/7).

14. cedarbird2

cedarbird2 Active Member VIP Donor

U5512
    Do you know where you order yours from?
    Thanks

15. JMac4506

I have ordered a couple set of these.
    Will see how they perform. Thanks U5512

16. JMac4506

Got the bulbs in today and guess what was in the box with the bulbs.... Resistors.
    Returning these. Will keep trying.

17. tbird

tbird Forum Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Donor

Would this 2002-05 Ford Thunderbird LED flasher relay on ebay help any?

18. JMac4506

CoachCornell and tbird like this.
  19. Transporter

Transporter Well-Known Member Lifetime Donor

I bought LED Taillights for my 2003 Expo as well as backup lights and interior lights kit. I did the driver's side interior lights first and the difference in unbelievable! Anyway, I decided to look for LED backup and tail light bulbs for the Tbird. I found something that I believe is very strange, found a set of bulbs and the fitment chart says says it fits 2003 Tbird but not 2002 Tbirds. How can that be? The AutoZone bulb chart says the 2002 and 2003 take the same bulb.
    The Link:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-X-6000K-...Stop-Backup-Reverse-Light-Bulbs/263537943601?

20. JW in Dixie

Checked the linked bulb for 2004 compatibility: This part is not compatible with 2004 Ford Thunderbird Base Convertible 2-Door 3.9L 242Cu. In. V8 GAS DOHC Naturally Aspirated.

Will keep searching - sure would like to convert.

Help us by sharing/liking this page!

Shop Amazon.comPlease shop Amazon.com using this link to support the forum!