2004 engine blown

R
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Sad day as my wife and I were out enjoying a Sunday drive in our tbird I felt a sudden thumping in the engine and a flashing engine symbol appeared. I tower it to my mechanic and was told the engine is blown! Heartbreaking. He did more research and thought there might be cool damage and valve cover damage that could be fixed. Am waiting to hear back. Has anyone experienced this and any suggestions? This car puts the most incredible smile on my wife's face it would crush me to lose it

All is not lost, worst case scenario you buy an engine from a wrecking yard and have it put in.

get a second opinion. a few years ago a woman in my town was told her engine has cracked cylinder heads because the 2002 Bird overheated. She posted it on this forum, so I called her and I met her at the repair shop.
I could not find a thing wrong with the car and she took it for a ride. It did not overheat. what was the problem? Maybe something blocked the radiator, like a trash bag, then fell off.

@Reddwlf
What happened with your Thunderbird? Was the engine not repairable? Did you fix, park or sell?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad day as my wife and I were out enjoying a Sunday drive in our tbird I felt a sudden thumping in the engine and a flashing engine symbol appeared. I tower it to my mechanic and was told the engine is blown! Heartbreaking. He did more research and thought there might be cool damage and valve cover damage that could be fixed. Am waiting to hear back. Has anyone experienced this and any suggestions? This car puts the most incredible smile on my wife's face it would crush me to lose it
I blew mine up as well rod out the bottom, but the junk yard had another and its in and running now, the shop said i could put a built coyote motor in it just time and money.

Back