2004 Bird Throttle Body & COP issue | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2004 Bird Throttle Body & COP issue

• Thread starter Thread starter T-Bird Tracy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

T-Bird Tracy

Click here to upgrade
Reaction score
MODERATOR NOTE- Check out this COPS thread- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...-05-ford-thunderbird-ignition-coils-cop.5040/

Hi! I've just joined thunderbirdforum.com and I love it! Found the site yesterday while I was looking for answers to a throttle body & COP issue. This site helped me 100%!!!
I've attached some links at the end of this email that might be helpful to people needing answers with this problem.

I have a 2004 beautiful black T-Bird. The service engine light came on last week, as well as the wrench light. The car went into "limp home" mode. I pulled over, stopped then started the car again and made it home. This happened out of the blue while driving about 45 mph in traffic. I didn't stop completely but slowed down considerably when this occurred.

Monday, it happened again twice when I got in to go to work. I took it in to our local Ford, Lincoln, Mercury dealership. The called me back stating I needed a new throttle body at a cost of $1,020.00. Holy cow!!! There was NO WAY I'm going to pay that without some research. I found that the primary cause of this problem is usually the coils. Oil and/or water gets into the coils, the coils overheat & this causes a problem with the throttle body. As of this time, this coil 'failure' is covered by Ford. They will (or should) do the repair at no cost to the owner.
During the course of the day, I kept in touch with the service manager & asked him to relate this information to his mechanic. My car is pretty much the only T-bird they have seen so I wanted to make sure they had all the information. They agreed to do the COP or coil repair, at no charge, first. Then, if there are any further issues, we'll go from there. I also asked the mechanic to provide me with the service codes so I could make sure I was properly informed as to the problem. DON'T EVER HESITATE TO ASK!!! If Ford wants your money and continuing service, they will work with you. IF not, tell them you are going to go somewhere else. It's not worth the money.

Anyway, thunderbirdforum.com was HIGHLY instrumental in providing answers. T-Bird owners are awesome!!

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Tracy, glad you are on the mend. Of course all 2003 thru 2005 should be covered up to 100,000 miles for COPS (coil-on-plugs). If you need documents PM me your email. But I think I may have posted them on site a few years back, if you use the search function above, you should find them.
If not let me know if you need it.😎
By the way, are you using a Ford or Lincoln dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back