2004 Bird battery replacement | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2004 Bird battery replacement

• Thread starter Thread starter Bird52
  • Start date Start date
Bird52

Bird52

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Checked the battery today . The battery is 8 years old. What's the trick to not lose the voltage when changing out the battery?
I would hate to reprogram all the functions (radio, windows, steering wheel etc.)
Thanks in advance.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

We'll see what others say, but I've changed battery and have no recall of any such difficulties

I connect another battery to the cables using alligator clips, so as not to lose power when the existing battery is removed.

Just replaced the batt in my 2004 - only loss was clock and radio settings. Used to have a mower batt that I clipped onto the cables before disconnecting.Tthat way nothing is lost. Cheers

I have been disconnecting the battery in my 2003 when I stored the car 4 to 6 months at a time
Since new. No problems ever. Just replaced the battery for the 3rd time, no problems. Just took a 200 mile trip,
Again everything fine. I shopped around for a new battery, cheapest I could find was $145.00, only 2year warranty. Picked up a
Battery at Walmart, same dimensions, and 600 cold cranking amps for $54.00 1 yr. warranty, beautiful. Even if I replace it
After a yr, still ahead. Walmart battery’s last in my farm tractors and boat up to 5 years or more.
New WM batt vented?

I have been disconnecting the battery in my 2003 when I stored the car 4 to 6 months at a time
Since new. No problems ever. Just replaced the battery for the 3rd time, no problems. Just took a 200 mile trip,
Again everything fine. I shopped around for a new battery, cheapest I could find was $145.00, only 2year warranty. Picked up a
Battery at Walmart, same dimensions, and 600 cold cranking amps for $54.00 1 yr. warranty, beautiful. Even if I replace it
After a yr, still ahead. Walmart battery’s last in my farm tractors and boat up to 5 years or more.
I replaced the battery in '09 about 7 months after I bought it. I bought the original equipment Motorcraft battery. I replaced it again last spring with same but the new one had a few more amps. They are spendy, but have an 8 year pro-rated warranty. To have one that lasted 10 years is pretty great. And yes, I had to reprogram the clock and radio presets. That's it. I do like to keep original parts on my '05. We drive it about 3000 miles a year as it is a garage queen here in Iowa.

Back