2004 as Daily Driver & newbie questions.

Bought my 2004 Merlot/sand w/60k 2.5 years ago. In Maryland any vehicle purchase/title change requires a thorough safety and mechanical inspection. The only thing needing attention was the rubber boots on the suspension joints - joints were fine, just replaced all the boots. Later I changed the COPS and plugs one afternoon as a peace of mind/preventative measure. It is my daily driver. It makes me happy every day. (well every day before Covid anyway - now it mostly sits) LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRIVE BORING CARS!
You mentioned changing the boot covers on the suspension joints; do you know where I can buy new boots? this is something I'd like to do to my '04 Merlot. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hello. I know you've already gotten most of the inf you asked about, but thought I would share a bit. We're about the same age and when I bought my 2004 in 2016 just after my 50th birthday I joked with friends and family that it was my mid-life crisis on a budget since the one-owner car with only 22K miles was only about $17K including tax title and license. I've had a silver with black leather 1960 Thunderbird since 1992, and while I love it, was time to let it go as just too much to maintain, and no AC not a continued option for Texas. The 2004 is silver with black interior and became the 1960's successor.

Can't speak to rust, since we don't see any here in the Dallas area. I've seen a few videos on YT about how to mitigate rust (Scotty Kilmer and such) so there may be steps you can take. Your best option may be to buy a southern car, if that's a possibility, although so many people stored these cars all winter that there are no doubt some in your area that have had little exposure to snow and salt.

The first owner of my car didn't use the soft top much so it looked nearly new, and I must confess to having been lazy and driving it through car washed a few times, and the top never leaked at all. I'm not going to press my luck so will hand wash going forward unless the hard top is installed (it also does not leak).

As noted, coils were an ongoing issue. After two years, my car started suddenly running rough when started now and again, but if turned off would restart and run normally. Then one day the dreaded warning lamp lit, and I knew it was likely coils. The Carmax at time of purchase showed coils replaced, but after watching a few YT videos (some for the Lincoln LS) and reading info here on the forum, I decided to tackle the coils myself. I bought a set on Amazon and had no difficulty installing, along with new spark plugs. I found that only some coils had been replaced, so in my opinion I would just replace all eight, along with plugs, unless you are certain the car you buy has already been done. There can be an issue with water leaking through the cowl, which I fear may be my car's problem, so that's next on the list.

The Carmax also showed a new AC compressor having been installed, and thus far no issues and AC has worked wonderfully during the 8 month each year we need it in Texas. Hopefully you can find a car that has also had that issue remedied.

I haven't updated the radio since it and the CD changer work just fine, but like you I may do so as I now work from home and no longer need my 2017 Fusion and may sell it and make the t-bird my only car since I drive so little now. Looks like there are a few options for radio upgrades but I would likely have a radio store install for me, unless Crutchfield is still around and has something.

I have silver with all black interior and actually prefer the solid color interior to the two tone, but Merlot Red is a stunning color, so can't go wrong there.

Good luck with your car search. It's enjoyable driving something that isn't so common, and for the most part I've found the car to be fine for routine driving, with the exception of when the soft top is up as there are terrible blind spots when backing or trying to merge in certain circumstances (not exactly ideal with the hard top either but at least the port holes provide some help). I do miss the backup camera that I have in the Fusion! Of course with the top down, no visibility issues whatsoever.

Only other option I had was ABS light coming on, but I read some posts and found that brake dust can cause problems, so when washing the car I spray the wheels each time and thus far the light hasn't come back on.

Let us know what you decide to do. BTW the first car I bought in high school in 1983 (after a hand-me-down AMC from my mother) was a 1978 Celica GT that I owned for 18 years until it started to rust away. Had 70K miles when I bought it and nearly 280K when I had to let it go. I loved that car! Was looking for an older Celica a few years ago and couldn't find very many so you're wise to keep yours.
Hi, thank you so much for your lengthy and informative response. I have hopefully found a 2004 Merlot with 29K miles on it. It has had all coils replaced, new tires, battery and brakes installed, but the owner has misplaced the tan soft top boot cover. Hopefully, I can find one on eBay or through the forum. The car is down South, so I have arranged to have it inspected by autombileinspections.com. We'll see in a week how the car fares in the inspection. It looks great in photographs, so I am optimistic.

Have a Merry Christmas!

You mentioned changing the boot covers on the suspension joints; do you know where I can buy new boots? this is something I'd like to do to my '04 Merlot. Thanks!

Bought my 2004 Merlot/sand w/60k 2.5 years ago. In Maryland any vehicle purchase/title change requires a thorough safety and mechanical inspection. The only thing needing attention was the rubber boots on the suspension joints - joints were fine, just replaced all the boots. Later I changed the COPS and plugs one afternoon as a peace of mind/preventative measure. It is my daily driver. It makes me happy every day. (well every day before Covid anyway - now it mostly sits) LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRIVE BORING CARS!
I agree with you, after 10 years of driving the dependable but boring Ford Fusion it will be great to drive a fun, distinctive car. Have a Merry Christmas!
I think all of the above replies answer most of your questions, but lets see what else you should be thinking about. I bought a 2002 with 67K miles this last spring from the 1st owner. There are no issues with suspension and it drives like new. However, the car was always stored in a heated garage, not driven in the winter and therefore did not experience the hot and cold cycles, hence my bushings look great. Also, my Goodyear tires are a belted with Kevlar and 17 years old, but look new everywhere. No rot, cracking, etc. Should I change them? They look new. All the seals on my car look and act like new, again from its easy climate controlled life. And no, the top does not leak. He did have brake pads and a new air conditioning compressor installed the day before I picked it up.
Pick a car from an area that does not salt/spray their roads, or one put in the garage in the winter to avoid the rust issues.
In saying this, how the car you buy was treated in the past makes a big difference on how the life items like bushings, seals, tires, will behave in the future. So look for a car that has been garage kept and with a good maintenance history, is spotless clean, even the engine bay and as low miles as you can afford to pay for. Good luck, and like the rest of these guys, my T-Bird is the best driving touring car I've ever owned!!
Hi, just want to thank you for your advice, I'm still looking but hope to acquire my T-Bird in a week or so. Just wanted to comment on old tires. My Celica had Dunlop tires on it that looked brand new, with little miles, but were11 years old. One day after driving it in NH, saw that a 3X4 inch chunk of tread had fallen off. The tire was still inflated, but that definitely had me going to the tire store for a new set. I would be careful driving those 17 year old ones...

Hi, I drive 12K miles a year, even though I work 3 miles from home. In nice weather, I am constantly back-roading in New England, checking out antique stores or finding interesting places to hike.

I have a 1989 Celica convertible with 150K miles on it, a six speed that is fun to drive. I still love it, but would like to only drive it locally since it is getting up there in mileage. My current daily driver is a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, again with 150K miles. That car has been very reliable, and is being handled down to my 16 year old son, who is clamoring for his learners permit. If the Ford survives Henry, then another son 3 years younger can use it afterwards. My wife drives a Volvo SUV, that we can use for family trips, so a 2-seater is ok for me.

I have always admired the retro T-birds, and can now afford one. I'm also 55, and would like to drive a car daily that I would enjoy. I realize all cars need regular maintenance, and have read the postings in the forum about the ignition coils and dried suspension issues, as well as cluster and PCM problems.

So, is it a mistake to buy a low mileage (20-60K) 2004-2005 Tbird as a daily driver? Or are the majority of these cars fairly reliable, if the owner is willing to maintain it properly? Do the ignition coil issues give you some warning before failing?

Other questions on my mind are:

1. This car would be driven in Winter, are they anymore prone to rust than any other car driven in the same conditions?
2. If taken through a car wash (I work at one and get free washes), are the hardtop or soft top prone to leaks? (Yes, the Celica does leak, the rubber stripping has dried over the years, but I deal with it).
3. I would likely replace the factory CD/radio with a unit with bluetooth capability. Recommendations?
4. Lastly, my preferred color combo is the Merlot Red. I am torn between getting a Black interior versus the Sand/Tan one. Is the Sand/Tan difficult to keep clean?

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks for reading this posting!

Short quick reply, 2005
50 th anniversary, Just over 245,000 miles. Yes, original engine, Transmission. Replaced coil packs Not sure how many times. Heater shut off valve a few times. Transmission oil change every two years. Engine oil every 4,000 miles.
Still running gotta say, like new.
Flush Cooling system every year. I picked November 1st some may say it's a waste of money. That may be true,
Oh I forgot to mention Original Radiator.
Break pads A few times.
One of the most dependable cars I've owned. And YES it is a Daily Driver.

[/QUOTE
Back in the Fall I went to Maryland to buy a Merlot/Sand 1 owner car after searching all summer long. I had never even driven one before. It was over 500 miles to get it home. FWIW the Maryland inspection deal is a good selling point IF you know about it and what it is. I have added 2300 miles on it since getting it home.
Mine may not be a daily driver it has been a drive it every chance I get. Keeping a car looking new is a relaxing hobby for me and the enjoyment from driving it is priceless.

Fun times driving your Bird! I had an 59th Anniversary Vette and niw have had my anniversary 05 17 months and love it! Put a bout 1 k on it last year! Fun to drive!

Hi, I drive 12K miles a year, even though I work 3 miles from home. In nice weather, I am constantly back-roading in New England, checking out antique stores or finding interesting places to hike.

I have a 1989 Celica convertible with 150K miles on it, a six speed that is fun to drive. I still love it, but would like to only drive it locally since it is getting up there in mileage. My current daily driver is a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, again with 150K miles. That car has been very reliable, and is being handled down to my 16 year old son, who is clamoring for his learners permit. If the Ford survives Henry, then another son 3 years younger can use it afterwards. My wife drives a Volvo SUV, that we can use for family trips, so a 2-seater is ok for me.

I have always admired the retro T-birds, and can now afford one. I'm also 55, and would like to drive a car daily that I would enjoy. I realize all cars need regular maintenance, and have read the postings in the forum about the ignition coils and dried suspension issues, as well as cluster and PCM problems.

So, is it a mistake to buy a low mileage (20-60K) 2004-2005 Tbird as a daily driver? Or are the majority of these cars fairly reliable, if the owner is willing to maintain it properly? Do the ignition coil issues give you some warning before failing?

Other questions on my mind are:

1. This car would be driven in Winter, are they anymore prone to rust than any other car driven in the same conditions?
2. If taken through a car wash (I work at one and get free washes), are the hardtop or soft top prone to leaks? (Yes, the Celica does leak, the rubber stripping has dried over the years, but I deal with it).
3. I would likely replace the factory CD/radio with a unit with bluetooth capability. Recommendations?
4. Lastly, my preferred color combo is the Merlot Red. I am torn between getting a Black interior versus the Sand/Tan one. Is the Sand/Tan difficult to keep clean?

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks for reading this posting!

Hey BostonJoe!

Welcome to the forum!
I own a 2004 Thunderbird (currently at 84500 mi!es) and it runs like a top! It is my daily driver as I work about 10 miles from home and my wife likes her 2021 Kia Seltos.
My car is the Merlot Red with the sand seating, shift knob, bronze metal dash & door inserts and black interior. I've always wanted a Thunderbird and really liked the look of the 11th generation retro model!

Regarding the COPS question... There is no warning. When it happened to me, the car started occasionally missing, then after about a week, it began missing in earnest. Turns out some of the plastic fasteners broke on the cowl around the windshield wipers, channeling the water from our hurricane last fall into the driver's side bank of spark plugs. I know an excellent mechanic and with his help replaced all the plugs and the driver's side COP coils and replaced the cowl fasteners To prevent it from happening again. Runs smoothly!

Regarding your questions:
1. I live in Georgia. Not much help regarding rust - watch for paint fading though.
2. While a car wash hasn't been a problem (just make sure your top is SECURE first!), is has raised hell with the "Thunderbird" emblems in the rear and the T-Bird logo in the front. The emblems are prone to breaking off and as the logo ages it may be torn from the car.
3. I am also looking at replacing the factory CD/Radio. There is nothing wrong with it, however Georgia has a hands-free law and Bluetooth capability would really come in handy!
4. I've been using a quality leather cleaner/conditioner on my seats and haven't had a problem since my first cleaning (the owner was a smoker).

Hope this info helps you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back