2003 Versus 2002 | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2003 Versus 2002

• Thread starter Thread starter beicholz
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a Premium '03. Drove both '03's and '02's. Here's my opinion:

* Power - MUCH more "umph" at 280hp, and better gas mileage to boot (how did they do that?).

* SelectShift - The "manual" transmission is fun. You won't want to use it all the time, but it's a really nice option at only $130.

* Dashboard - Round dials look more retro.

* V8 Emblem - The 03's have a V8 emblem. No big deal, but kind of fun.

* Top - I hear the boot is much better, but never tried the '02. The '03 boot is extremely easy to install.

* Stereo sounds GREAT with top off, but it sounds hollow "echo-y" with top up. I believe this is by design...the same stereo that sounds great with top off will not sound as good with the top on - and vice versa.

My verdict: I LOVE this car. Don't buy a leftover '02 unless you get an incredible bargain (I'd say $6,000 or more off sticker - LA Dealer advertising $5400 off today). The '03 is clearly a better car. Ford's secret is that they have MANY '02's to unload at the same time their better '03's are hitting the lots. The 03's may cost more, but I predict the used value will be much better than the '02's.

Summary: '03's (which can be purchased for $2,500 off sticker) are much better. '02's are a great buy for the budget-constrained (it's still a T-Bird, after all, and it looks the same, drives great, still a superb car!).

Any other opinions out there?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

beicholz
Just took baby bird out today for an extended sunny drive. Have had bad weather here lately. Put 250 miles on her with not one problem. FYI on real rough roads, blacktop cracked etc, she has road noise and must turn radio up. all other features you mentioned I also agree with. I would like a compass. Avg MPG 20++ at speed from avg road 65-70 to well over 110. The power is great and ride is just what I would expect in a personal car. We have a 2002 Mountaineer and it rides like a truck compared to T Bird. T Bird Really turned heads in a lot of small Texas towns that we visited today. At least 2 thumbs up from locals and cowboy types. I bet with a supercharger this bird would almost fly. Like all features except wife says need a 6 or at least 4 way power seat for her.
Dennis

The horsepower boost for the '03 is nice but I doubt that most of us bought the '02 models with only horsepower in mind for a car that is esentially a cruiser.

To satisfy my lust for speed, I am number one on a list with Ford for a new Mustang Cobra rumored ro be 400HP plus.

Now that's a rush that only a T-Bird or a Corvette in the rear view mirror can fully appreciate.

Originally posted by beicholz:
Just bought a Premium '03. Drove both '03's and '02's. Here's my opinion:

* Power - MUCH more "umph" at 280hp, and better gas mileage to boot (how did they do that?).

* SelectShift - The "manual" transmission is fun. You won't want to use it all the time, but it's a really nice option at only $130.

* Dashboard - Round dials look more retro.

* V8 Emblem - The 03's have a V8 emblem. No big deal, but kind of fun.

* Top - I hear the boot is much better, but never tried the '02. The '03 boot is extremely easy to install.

* Stereo sounds GREAT with top off, but it sounds hollow "echo-y" with top up. I believe this is by design...the same stereo that sounds great with top off will not sound as good with the top on - and vice versa.

My verdict: I LOVE this car. Don't buy a leftover '02 unless you get an incredible bargain (I'd say $6,000 or more off sticker - LA Dealer advertising $5400 off today). The '03 is clearly a better car. Ford's secret is that they have MANY '02's to unload at the same time their better '03's are hitting the lots. The 03's may cost more, but I predict the used value will be much better than the '02's.

Summary: '03's (which can be purchased for $2,500 off sticker) are much better. '02's are a great buy for the budget-constrained (it's still a T-Bird, after all, and it looks the same, drives great, still a superb car!).

Any other opinions out there?

In defense of the 02 Bird, I would like to give my thoughts. Buying the first year of any automobile has a certain appeal. Each year improvements will be made. However, even with the small problems with first year cars, this is one heck of a great experience.
Like many of us, it is nice to know that we got one of the first to come off the line. Serial number 650 may be worth something to the grandchildren 20 years from now or maybe not. In the meantime this baby is being treated with TLC.

No doubt one feels a little regret when hearing that an item once purchased has perhaps falling in value by thousands, but I still take great pleasure in driving my beautiful yellow '02 TBird. I must add, that I never fail to get prolonged stares from others when I smoothly glide thru neighborhoods and busy streets. I knew when I got my my retro Bird, that following years would have more equipment, but I am still feel privileged to have the first year, in unique yellow color. Also, I still believe when one compare price to other 2 seater cruisers that the TBird is a most reasonable value!! Regards to all...Phil

In reading my posting again, it appears a bit negative about the '02 T-Bird.

But I reiterate what I said at the end....both the '02 and '03 models are fabulous cars. I am proud of the fact that my country produced such an amazing car. Yes, the 03's have improvements. But I'd much rather drive a 2002 or 2003 T-Bird, than a generic-looking new 'Z or a Mazda Miata, or even a $65K Lexus SC430, which was my second choice.

My hat is off to owners who took the plunge with the '02. As the first year of a new Ford era, your car is even more of a classic than mine!

Long live the T-Bird!

beicholz, Apology accepted. We are all part of the Thunderbird experience. We all know what it is like to cruise with our cars, even if we can't put it into words. Happy birding!

Can't get the 2003 model in Thunderbird Blue baby!! Due to speed limits.. the extra power doesn't matter. Everyone thinks my car is cool. First year models are always the keepsakes of the bunch!

2002 vs 2003

Greetings....

Newbie here and I am sure some of my questions will be ignorant, but here goes..

Am considering purchasing a new Thunderbird. My wife seems to prefer the car over my choice, a silver Marauder, but, as a "compromise car" I could certainly do worse!!

Will I fit in this car for long trips? I am 6'4"something 240 something... I am physically incapable, for instance, of sitting as a passenger in a Porsche Boxster for over 20 min.

Are there other considerations in the model year differences that should be considered? I saw something about a blue color that is now unavailable. The newer models have a 3.9 vs the 4.6? or vice versa? It seems many of the other changes can be just a personal preference. As stated, it appears that the 2002s are discounted. I realize that many of you may have paid substancially more than they are selling for right now, (but hey, you still have a Great car and got to enjoy it longer and they will all devalue over time). What price should I look to pay for one NOW?. Is there a dealer or area on the east coast that would be a better area to buy? I move all over and will not really have a local dealer. What/Where is the best value?

If you were able to do it over again is there anything you would look for or do differently? Is there a specific color or trim level that should be searched out?

Thanks, Bill

Unless the money difference is important to you ($5,000 off new 02 and $2,000 off new 03, net $3,000 difference) or the Inspiration Yellow and Thunderbird Blue are your favorite colors, then get the 2003. The extra power, heated seats, trip computer, etc. are worth the $3,000.

I have an 02 Inspiration Yellow Pre without the Hardtop. I live in Texas and the Hardtop is not needed. So, if you too live in a warm climate, then I recommend not getting the hardtop. Since most people want the hardtop, you should be able to get a better discount on models without it. It work for me a year ago. I drive my car everyday and have had the top down at least one everyweek during the winter, advantage Texas.

I have no ideal whether you will fit in the car. Go to the dealer and sit in them and take one on an extended test drive. You should be able to find a used one that they will let you drive. All two seater convertibles are hard to live with, you must decide if you are the kind of person who loves living this way. This car is by far the best and most comfortable one I have ever owned.

You should be aware that this car has almost no trunk space. I have to routinely limit my grocery purchases to what will fit in the trunk and passenger seat. Forget it if my wife is with me. It would be nice if Ford found some storage space behind the seats as shown in the 2000 Concept Car.

Bottom line, the Merc is more practical, but the T-Bird is by far a better buy (resell, status, limited number on the road regardless how many has been sold). If you get one, drive it!!! You will reach your destination without seeing anyone else driving the same car.

Good Luck!!!

I do appreciate the info, thanks. I realize that it is inane to ask some of these questions without ever driving the car. I am just trying to arm myself with as much infor as possible prior to going to the dealer, as once she gets in it, it will be Very hard to get her out! . I will be lucky to get to ever drive it !

I agree, the low profile of the car makes it a little more challenging than your normal car to get in and out of. Also, I'm 6' tall and short-waisted and yet I still scrape my hair on the softop, just enough that it bugs me sometimes... okay clearance on the hardtop. I suspect at 6'4" 240 you're gonna be cramped, especially on long trips. I've read stories of other folks getting rid of their birds after they discovered they were too big for the car.

2003 vs 2002

LCpl ret.
I am 6' 4" 220 and I fit. I love the car but have never taken a long, extended trip. So long term comfort, I'm not too sure of. The head room is tight but the fun is great.
You mentioned the east coast but need to be more specific. I know of '02's and '03's in the Boston area that could be dealt with, but you may be in FL.
Everyone will have a different opinion, so go see it, drive it and then determine what you want to do.
Good Luck!!

LCpl Retired,

I disagree with the comments that this car is the most difficult to get in and out of. It really is easy. I can think of many other vehicles that are by far more difficult (84-96 Corvette, Mazda MX-5, etc...). One of the reasons I bought the car is the practibility of it compared to the other two I mentioned above. I would not let those comments change your mind. Again, I know you will go to the dealer and try it for yourself, just wanted to debunk the most difficult comments.

Well, good luck and let us know what you decide.

Side note, I removed the spare tire today and if I could go without it the trunk would be very spacious. I never thought I would wish for a mini spare. Also, the spare tire weighs 30 lbs plus or minus by my scales. I was looking at installing a 10 disk cd changer to play MP3's. I will (hopefully) install it this weekend.

Good luck on your car purchase. I will be happy to let you know the advertised prices in this are if you want them. Let me know.

Thanks,

Paul H.

LCpl Retired
At 6"4" I dont believe you will fit with the hardtop installed. With the soft top up it will be a new experience for you. If you plan to drive it with the top off, then you may have a plan. I have a close friend who is 6"3" 220 lbs (retired marine Major) and he cant ride for more than 30 min without cramping up. If you are ever near Findlay, Ohio, you are welcome to take it for a day.

The car is a big head banger. For short people so don't see
how a tall person could be comfortable. Another thing the
car is hard to see out of with the top or hard top on, to
the point of being dangerous sometimes.

Still miss all the feature the Lincoln LS8 had over the bird.

Being one of the first on the list it seems like a 3 year old
car to us. 2years of waiting and 1 with the car. If had
a crystal ball, would have cancelled the order and
picked one up now with the steep discounts. All colors
have been available in our area and still are if want an
02 or 03. Some even on the used car lots too.

Too tall

I disagree with whvt01. One has to learn how to get into a two seater properly like we did back in the 60's. I am 6' 0" and 240 lbs and have no trouble getting in or out. I have worked in the class 8 truck market (Kenworth, Peterbilt, etc) for over 30 years and have driven by mirrors only since there are no back or rear side windows on a truck. I'm not a truck driver, but I am the shop supervisor for Cummins Southern Plains in Amarillo (Cummins Diesel Engines). One has too learn how to drive by the outside mirrors alone and then become comfortable with the softtop up or hardtop on. Lastly I would not give up my over two years of waiting and anticipating for a $5,000 savings. I think all these forums were more fun then during the waiting period than they are now. We were all like a bunch of anxious kids. I put a deposit down on mine in February of 1999. Everyday day we heard new rumors of when the cars were coming out or just what options they would have. It was a lot of fun back then.

My feelings exactly Lon, like the old saying, "Getting there is half the fun." Don't get me wrong, I love my 02 Blue Bird. I still get the thumbs up from lots of people and it is a pleasure to drive this baby. Too bad it puts miles on the odometer but it is addictive. Yes Lon, we are still a Cummins town.

Lon

I really think most people don't want a car they have to
put a lot of effort into. They want to get in and go.

For Car buffs they enjoy the challenges of the different
models. Todays society is a hurry and don't want little
things adding anymore complications. Sure you could
learn to drive by your mirrors but not today, they got
a cell glued to there ear.

Last week went to an event in town. A black T-bird was
parked by the building. Coming out people looked, a couple
pointed but NO ONE stopped and looked at. These
people would have been from the generation of the
early 50's too.

Glad you are enjoying the car, but no it has not been
worth the year 5000 - 6000 lost in value to have one of the
first at MSRP. Yes any car will lose once off the lot but
if it was a have to have car that's part of it. For us having
one now with the savings would be just a good.

Not bashing the the Bird, I don't drive my car, the vette
much anymore either for the same reason. Can get in
my truck and not feel an out of control shopping cart will
do me in. Pull up side a SUV, truck, they don't even know
you are down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back