2003 soft top delays when retracting | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2003 soft top delays when retracting

• Thread starter Thread starter kberg85284
  • Start date Start date
K
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
My 2003 rag top pauses and almost stops at top center then keeps going down. I actually had to assist it once. Any ideas ? Battery or convertible motor?
Also what is best soft top cleaner to use on the tan tops. Seems like a very dry canvasy material. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Also what is best soft top cleaner to use on the tan tops. Seems like a very dry canvasy material. Thanks
Rag top cleaner has been discussed many times in the site. Utilize the search page to get answers to many common questions.

Last edited:
My top on the 2002 hesitated in that region also, its a critical pivot point where the articulating arms snap the top into the "stacked" position for storage in the folded top well. I took some Teflon dry bicycle chain lube and, while holding a rag behind each pivot point with the top in various positions, liberally sprayed ALL of the pivot points (hinges) and things operate smoothly now.

Aerospace 303 makes a nice convertible top cleaner and preservative combo, which is what I use.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000A8JNF0/?tag=thunderbirdforum-20

Last edited by a moderator:
My top on the 2002 hesitated in that region also, its a critical pivot point where the articulating arms snap the top into the "stacked" position for storage in the folded top well. I took some Teflon dry bicycle chain lube and, while holding a rag behind each pivot point with the top in various positions, liberally sprayed ALL of the pivot points (hinges) and things operate smoothly now.

Aerospace 303 makes a nice convertible top cleaner and preservative combo, which is what I use.

Che

Check hydraulic fluid might be low or have a leak
303 for the top

My top on the 2002 hesitated in that region also, its a critical pivot point where the articulating arms snap the top into the "stacked" position for storage in the folded top well. I took some Teflon dry bicycle chain lube and, while holding a rag behind each pivot point with the top in various positions, liberally sprayed ALL of the pivot points (hinges) and things operate smoothly now.​

I'd suggest a PTFE (teflon) based lubricant. Tri-Flow is amazing stuff for this. Available in spray, pen or squeeze bottle.

It does help to oil all the hinges and moving parts, that will make a big difference. There is also a spring located on one
of the pivot arms that helps the arm bend, I would imagine that after all of these years that this spring has lost some of
its spring force, which keeps the arm from bending easily.T bird spring.jpg

I've used both RaggTop and 303 with good results, though the top manufacturer, Haartz, recommends RaggTop.

For light colored tops, steam can help with stubborn stains:
. While I like the Bissell steamer, I don't recommend using its brushes on the top. It tends to fray the outer fibers of the material. Instead, I use the steamer with a brush from RaggTop specifically for canvas tops.

Back