2003 rear tie rod bushing shot | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2003 rear tie rod bushing shot

• Thread starter Thread starter smccar2001
  • Start date Start date
S
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Both rear outer tie rod bushings are shot according to the Ford mechanic who found it during a transmission fluid change. I jacked it and felt the rubber breaking apart in my hand. Don't see an alignment problem or tire wear yet and the rod did not move on me. Didn't check the inner rods which have the boot. Do you know if you can buy and replace just the outer piece?

Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I had the same problem my 2004 Thunderbird replace all of them upper lower rear front steering everything and getting with grease fittings you're looking about to have it done about $3,000 but you should have it done thank you Leo red T Bird
Thank you. I heard the rubber material was low quality. So far only rear rods have the problem. I guess the price Ford quoted was not as bad as I thought.

I replaced both of them myself, not expensive at all. Do make sure u get the Ford OEM if possible as one of my first purchases was a Chinese production. It failed within 6 months.

Both rear outer tie rod bushings are shot according to the Ford mechanic who found it during a transmission fluid change. I jacked it and felt the rubber breaking apart in my hand. Don't see an alignment problem or tire wear yet and the rod did not move on me. Didn't check the inner rods which have the boot. Do you know if you can buy and replace just the outer piece?

Thanks
You should be able to buy just the rubber boots and replace them alone if the joint doesn't have any play in it. Rock auto or most parts stores should be able to supply. You need to measure the part where the clips go and the narrower part also. Use a micrometer for this. Add new grease when you fit the new boots and you should be good for years. The Ford rubber seems to just disintegrate over time.
Ian

You should be able to buy just the rubber boots and replace them alone if the joint doesn't have any play in it. Rock auto or most parts stores should be able to supply. You need to measure the part where the clips go and the narrower part also. Use a micrometer for this. Add new grease when you fit the new boots and you should be good for years. The Ford rubber seems to just disintegrate over time.
Ian
Thanks guys. On second look the rear rods look doable by yourself. I will take measurements and look for the boots only.

Back