2003 P1039 code

Aquarius

Aquarius

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am looking for some help here. I recently replaced my transmission at 145k. All was well till around 500 miles on the rebuilt and then my instrument cluster lit up. ABS,Trac Control. would light up and then disappear. The speedometer would go to zero and then pop back up. No loss of power and my tach still was reading fine. By the time I got home all those icons disappeared and the engine light came on. I took it to O'Reilly and P 1039 came up, repair the fuel injector heater wiring was the most likely solution. Also, additional DTC's were U 1039 vehicle speed signal missing or incorrect. And lastly, P 0456 EVAP control very small leak ().)20) detected. Also, the Veri Scan shows my VIN # and the mileage at 256000. I only have 145K on the dial as I mentioned before. Would the mileage discrepancy be due to a rebuilt transmission? So, am I hurting anything by driving this any further until the fix is corrected? I will fix it, but I have a short cruise set for the weekend and don't want any further damage. Also, what can I expect to pay for said repairs? I am not a mechanic, so any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

So, am I hurting anything by driving this any further until the fix is corrected?
This is a question for your mechanic, not the internet.
Also, what can I expect to pay for said repairs? I am not a mechanic, so any help is much appreciated. Thank you.
Get estimates from a couple local trusted mechanics. Prices vary greatly depending on where you live.

256000 is a suspect number to me. Remember, in the early days of chips, when everything was limited to 256? Along with all your other weird symptoms, I'm thinking that NONE of those O'Reilly codes can be trusted yet, until the computer is checked out. I wouldn't start throwing parts at it.

It may be completely unrelated to your transmission replacement, and may be a dying computer...

Who knows? The computer is just where I would personally start, because of all the weirdness. A Ford dealer has the best equipment to read your computer.

I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
A Ford dealer has the best equipment to read your computer.
Most mechanics use high end scan tools from SnapOn etc, however you also pay 150.00/hr. You don't have to go to a Ford dealership, in fact, many of them won't even work on older cars as the technicians are not trained on these and parts are scarce.

It's the software that sets things apart, but in modern names there are some pretty good ODBII scanners that can read more data and translate it also live data. I use a BlueDriver scan tool.

Most mechanics use high end scan tools from SnapOn etc, however you also pay 150.00/hr. You don't have to go to a Ford dealership, in fact, many of them won't even work on older cars as the technicians are not trained on these and parts are scarce.

It's the software that sets things apart, but in modern names there are some pretty good ODBII scanners that can read more data and translate it also live data. I use a BlueDriver scan tool.
Sounds like an instrument cluster to me.

I am in the process of having the ABS control module rebuilt after similar conditions. the car runs fine but the power steering is heavy and the speedometer doesnt work. The ABS speed controller seems to run all those items. I was going to replace the Front Control Module but the mechanic assures me that is not necessary. will post follow up.

I have a similar (actually, exact same thing happening) issue with my 2002 Bird, I sent the instrument cluster to be rebuilt. Will keep you guys updated on the results.

I am in the process of having the ABS control module rebuilt after similar conditions. the car runs fine but the power steering is heavy and the speedometer doesnt work. The ABS speed controller seems to run all those items. I was going to replace the Front Control Module but the mechanic assures me that is not necessary. will post follow up.
The heavy power steering issue is controled via the front electronic module. Having it rebuilt would definitely fix that issue.

awaiting my ABS Control Module to see if it will correct the problem. My mechanic thinks the ABS Control Module creates the speed component of the steering inputs required to set the steering responses. I welcome other suggestions but it does make sense to me. Comments encouraged.

Vehicle speed information is sent to the anti-lock brake system/traction control (ABS/TC) module or ABS module from each of the four wheel speed sensors. The vehicle speed information is then sent to the instrument cluster by the ABS module over the SCP communication network circuits. Instrument cluster DTC U1041 will be logged if the instrument cluster fails to receive the vehicle speed data from the ABS/TC module or ABS module.

Did your mechanic check for faults in the instrument cluster and was fault U1041 recorded?

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Vehicle speed information is sent to the anti-lock brake system/traction control (ABS/TC) module or ABS module from each of the four wheel speed sensors. The vehicle speed information is then sent to the instrument cluster by the ABS module over the SCP communication network circuits. Instrument cluster DTC U1041 will be logged if the instrument cluster fails to receive the vehicle speed data from the ABS/TC module or ABS module.

Did your mechanic check for faults in the instrument cluster and was fault U1041 recorded?

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Not sure if U1041 showed up , he did however clean all the speed sensors at all 4 wheels. Car ran fine this weekend at about 125 miles in all the instrument lights lit including the limp mode. Stopped the car and immediately restarted all lights went away drove the 30 miles back home without any more incidents.

Not sure if U1041 showed up , he did however clean all the speed sensors at all 4 wheels. Car ran fine this weekend at about 125 miles in all the instrument lights lit including the limp mode. Stopped the car and immediately restarted all lights went away drove the 30 miles back home without any more incidents.
I have never seen any thing dirty near any of the ABS tone rings or sensors???
Really sounds like reaching for straws. Looks like the instrument cluster, and or FEM is the guilty part.

Back