2003 Not running, module issues???

H

hobart.paddler

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi all,
Inherited my dad's 2003 after he passed - 39k miles and well maintained. In august as I was driving to work the wrench indicator lit up but I was able to get to work. After stopping, the car would not start. Scanned codes were for fuel pump failure. Had it towed to a Ford dealership - they said they tested the fuel pump and it was fine, suggested it was the rear electronic module. When the key was turned, the fuel pump was not priming. Had the REM rebuilt, and it's still not working (though the fuel pump now primes). Security lights are now on in the vehicle too.

Codes are now:
codes b2141 navigation module configuration
U1041 SCP Data Fault for vehicle speed
U1262 SCP Data Fault J1850 Bus
P1233 Fuel pump Module off line

Dealer is not sure what to do, says it's probably the PCM or instrument cluster. I'm at a loss what to do - I just can't imagine the car went from running fine to having every module go bad at the same time. Before I have them take out the PCM for a rebuild, I'm looking for advice/suggestions on what to look at or how to approach this. I also need to find an indy mechanic in the green bay area who is familiar with these cars. I believe before my dad passed he had the coils and plugs replaced.

thanks in advance!

Did it sit for a while without being driven? Bad fuel pumps are a very common problem. So it cranks, no start? Or nothing at all when key turned?

How long has it been since you did a total reset by unplugging the battery?

have you check the fuel inertia cutoff switch?

In 2021 I purchased a 2003 with similar mileage that had been sitting for a long time. I had many issues with intermittent dash lights, including the wrench, and codes that pointed to the ABS module. I sent the module out for repair and replaced the old battery with new and have been issue free ever since, except for an occasional P0442 EVAP SYSTEM LEAK DETECTED (SMALL LEAK). Even though I never had trouble starting the engine, I suspect the old battery had a lot to do with my intermittent dash lights and codes.

Did it sit for a while without being driven? Bad fuel pumps are a very common problem. So it cranks, no start? Or nothing at all when key turned?

How long has it been since you did a total reset by unplugging the battery?

have you check the fuel inertia cutoff switch?
Yes, checked fuel inertia switch, and actually just replaced the battery. Pops stored it winters but would run it every couple weeks. Drove it all summer without probs. Dealer said once the rear electronic module was replaced it started and died. And won’t restart. Said it sounded like the motor was not getting fuel. Even though they tested the fuel pump and said it was fine maybe it is not fine. Maybe it is getting electricity but not working. I Don’t think they are very interested in the vehicle and getting it sorted out.

Even though they tested the fuel pump and said it was fine maybe it is not fine.
Very possible. Lots of people trust dealerships, but they have the same problems getting employees as everyone else. Bad fuel pumps are a top problem on retro Thunderbirds. Time for a second opinion.

Yes, checked fuel inertia switch, and actually just replaced the battery. Pops stored it winters but would run it every couple weeks. Drove it all summer without probs. Dealer said once the rear electronic module was replaced it started and died. And won’t restart. Said it sounded like the motor was not getting fuel. Even though they tested the fuel pump and said it was fine maybe it is not fine. Maybe it is getting electricity but not working. I Don’t think they are very interested in the vehicle and getting it sorted out.
Since you were driving when the wrench indicator light illuminated and you were still able to drive until you turned off the engine that would tell me that the fuel pump itself is probably not the issue. Since code P1233, Fuel Pump Module off line, was stored when the wrench indicator light illuminated, that is the system that I would diagnose first using the pinpoint test for the fuel pump driver module. The pinpoint test is nothing more than a flow chart that is 18 pages long. So you get an idea of the layout of the pinpoint test, attached are the first 2 pages of the test. Notice that the first step asks if DTC P1233 is present. Rather than installing unnecessary parts, like a PCM or an instrument cluster, if the dealership follows the pinpoint test they will know the cause of DTC P1233 and ultimately your problem.

Before retiring I worked as a dealership technician for 40 years, and if I misdiagnoses code P1233 by installing a Rear Electronic Module, you would not be charged for the module.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

P1233.jpg

Pinpoint Test Page 1.JPG
Pinpoint Test Page 2.JPG

Hi all,
Inherited my dad's 2003 after he passed - 39k miles and well maintained. In august as I was driving to work the wrench indicator lit up but I was able to get to work. After stopping, the car would not start. Scanned codes were for fuel pump failure. Had it towed to a Ford dealership - they said they tested the fuel pump and it was fine, suggested it was the rear electronic module. When the key was turned, the fuel pump was not priming. Had the REM rebuilt, and it's still not working (though the fuel pump now primes). Security lights are now on in the vehicle too.

Codes are now:
codes b2141 navigation module configuration
U1041 SCP Data Fault for vehicle speed
U1262 SCP Data Fault J1850 Bus
P1233 Fuel pump Module off line

Dealer is not sure what to do, says it's probably the PCM or instrument cluster. I'm at a loss what to do - I just can't imagine the car went from running fine to having every module go bad at the same time. Before I have them take out the PCM for a rebuild, I'm looking for advice/suggestions on what to look at or how to approach this. I also need to find an indy mechanic in the green bay area who is familiar with these cars. I believe before my dad passed he had the coils and plugs replaced.

thanks in advance!
Sorry to hear about the problems. Having shared the same problems, I sympathize. Unfortunately, this sounds like the PCM module. My dealer ruled out the fuel pump, repaired/rebuilt the PCM. Painful experience, long time in shop, interior taken apart (they dropped and broke my radio). Car runs fine now, but has all the other issues common to these Birds, instrument panel lights failed, Fuel vaporizor fail code and repair ignition coils. Good luck

Attached is the pinpoint test as a pdf file.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• FUEL PUMP DRIVER MODULE - PINPOINT TEST.pdf
    125.7 KB · Views: 28
Back