2003 Heater A/C Fan resistor removal

Pat Finlon

Pat Finlon

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Do you have to remove the dashboard to change the fan motor resistor?
My mechanic he cant fit the replacement from underneath.
It blows at high speed all the time

Hi Pat, some comments and a few questions. As far as I know there is no resistor. They system has the DATC module, the blower motor speed control and the blower motor relay. Have you run the self diagnostics test from the DATC panel? Does the manual fan speed override work? Does the fan do the same thing in both AC mode and Heat mode? To run the self test, start your engine and then press the OFF and FLOOR buttons at the same time followed by the AUTO button within 2 seconds. Then record all the DTC (trouble codes) displayed. Normal system operations stops while the self test is running. Press any button to exit the test.

Thank you Dennis. The fan runs at high speed on AC and Heat. I will try the self diagnostic test. Do the codes come up on screen or in the cars computer and read through the OBD port? I show no codes in the OBD port at this time.

Thank you Dennis. The fan runs at high speed on AC and Heat. I will try the self diagnostic test. Do the codes come up on screen or in the cars computer and read through the OBD port? I show no codes in the OBD port at this time.
Pat, the codes appear right on the DATC screen. Just have a pen/ paper handy to write them down. There is also a test to check for codes are constantly occurring as they are saved in the system. But I believe the best thing in your case is to allow the car to run through the entire self diagnostic test. If you have an OBD tool you can also use it but the self test is so simple it saves you from getting it out. I have the complete factory manual set so if you don’t know what the codes mean let me know and I am happy to look them up. I had the unfortunate issue about 18 months ago to have the PCM fail. Luckily the car was about 100 yards from my driveway (haha). the limp home mode not so good in theses cars!

Pat, I looked up in the troubleshooting section of the Ford manual anything on “blower motor runs but doesn’t operate properly” and the manual details eight tests to perform on this topic to isolate the problem Before going to others sections with several more tests depending on your findings under this section. So I attached those pages for you or your mechanic to perform Assuming one of you undertsands the electrical functions and has a multimeter. also do the tests in order starting with #1.
Good luck,
Dennis

6019505B-0E28-4F34-BB57-500B0353CDB2.jpegD5E56B86-80DE-4127-87FA-04CBFF6D9EE8.jpegF90124C8-8423-433A-BC5B-588A8BFEC80C.jpegDDF11C59-B53B-43A8-B3F4-4C9D7EAF389E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back