2003-2005 spark plug recommendations

As preventive maintenance, I am going to replace the spark plugs and ignition coils on my 2004 Thunderbird. My question is regarding which NGK spark plugs should I use. It seems that NGK Iridium IX spark plugs are the most popular choice, but the NGK Laser Platinum spark plugs are OEM equivalent and recommended by the manufacture. Looking on the NGK web site, there are seven NGK spark plugs that will fit my car. The cheapest being the BKR5ES-11 standard spark plug all the way to the IFR5E11, Laser Iridium spark plug. I have a complete set of NGK BKR5E-11, V-Power spark plugs in stock that are on list of spark plugs that will fit my car. Are there any disadvantages to using the NGK V-Power spark plugs in my car?

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I should rephrase me question; I'm not looking to see if if the NGK V-Power spark plugs that I already have are better than the NGK Iridium IX spark plugs, I'm asking if I use the NGK BKR5E-11, V-Power spark plugs will they have any adverse effects on the operation of my car.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

How many miles can you run the original plugs
The real question is how many years. People like to focus on the milage if they have a low mileage car, but the parts still age and deteriorate. If you have OEM spark plugs, change them, the same goes for the spare tire in the truck.

Last edited:
The real question is how many years. People like to focus on the milage if they have a low milage car, but the parts still age and deteroriate. If you have OEM spark plugs, change them, same goes for the spare tire in the truck.
Don't forget the fuel filter either. I purchased my 2004 Thunderbird in April with 35,000 on the odometer. Since my wife and I were driving the T-Bird on Route 66 in September, I replaced the coils and spark plugs, the spare tire and the fuel filter. Even though I wasn't having any problems, I was surprised that I couldn't blow through the fuel filter! We were on the road for 28 days and 6,200 miles. The T-Bird drove like a new car and was trouble free. The feeling you get driving a T-Bird on Route 66, on a sunny day with the top down was incredible. I love my 1955 Thunderbird, but the retro bird is a fantastic car to take on a road trip.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back