2003-2005 Is a hardtop necessary?

We have the hardtop, but the paint went bad (previous owners left it outside for long periods/bad weather); had it repainted (white) and it looks great on. Recommend that you purchase your car with a hard top, as it will most likely add to the value at resale, AND, we leave ours on during the winter, off in the summer (soft top up or down, if driving), and it sits on a roll around hardtop stand. We have a big garage, so not a space issue, and it takes two people to install or remove (not difficult IMO). I would not leave my '02 out in the weather for extended periods of time with the soft top; they will not handle weather (sun/rain) for long. They will fade, and there is always a drip or leak somewhere...

Before and after photos

View attachment 26977View attachment 26978
That color combo is stunning! Great choice!

What did it set you back to have it painted?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

As I am narrowing my search, I keep asking anyone I'd buy from if they have the Boot-cause they're super expensive, owner's manual-cause they harder to get and expensive, anything I'd normally ask about with regard to buying a used vehicle, and do they have the hardtop.

My question is this-how many of you out there actually ever use the top and should I let that enter into my decision (if they don't have it) if everything else seems good?

Thanks,
Bob
I do not have a hard top.. Had 02 ten years. Not on my list. I have had a bunch of convertibles and do not see need for it. Just my opinion.

The hard top is an icon of this car and is considered part of the whole package and expensive to get larer. So the real question is, how important is it to you? Collector value? Optional winter cover? Optional appearance cover? Feel good 'cause I have one? It stores easily on it's caddie and stays clean with the dust cover. So unless you have some compelling reason to NOT have one, include it in your search.

The hard top is an icon of this car and is considered part of the whole package and expensive to get larer. So the real question is, how important is it to you? Collector value? Optional winter cover? Optional appearance cover? Feel good 'cause I have one? It stores easily on it's caddie and stays clean with the dust cover. So unless you have some compelling reason to NOT have one, include it in your search.
When I suggested to my wife (now deceased) that she might like a car like the 2005 Anniversary version she insisted it had to have the hardtop with the porthole. When I found a silver one used in PA she loved it.

I have one for my PCR, which for that model, is very much part of the design (<- see photo on right)
I always use it on long road trips, much quieter, and I put it on in the winter
Also, love the look
There is nothing wrong with the rag top, it fits well, is waterproof and looks fine, but part of this car is that hard top, at least for me

years
We have the hardtop on our 50th Anniversary bird. It has only been off twice in 11 years. We also have the manuals, original boot and hardtop caddy with cover. The car is kept indoors under a cover. We enjoy the quiet of the hardtop at freeway speeds. We also installed the cockpit stainless trim package which eliminates the squeak sounds sometimes made by the hardtop mounting surfaces. All in all the complete package works for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I am narrowing my search, I keep asking anyone I'd buy from if they have the Boot-cause they're super expensive, owner's manual-cause they harder to get and expensive, anything I'd normally ask about with regard to buying a used vehicle, and do they have the hardtop.

My question is this-how many of you out there actually ever use the top and should I let that enter into my decision (if they don't have it) if everything else seems good?

Thanks,
Bob
This time of year, on the central Atlantic coast of Florida, it is usually too hot or too rainy to have the top down. But she still drives with the top down whenever she can. Certainly, it is down from October to May. We usually put the top up when in the garage, just to keep the interior from getting dusty. We also put it up when parked somewhere, in order to shade the interior. We don't have a hard top and don't miss it. When we bought the car 2 years ago, the boot was in the trunk, still sealed up in the factory bag.

I will throw a wrench in this discussion. I have an 03 that the top has never been off of. lololol

I wonder what affect that has on the condition of the soft top being folded for 20 years.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

My 05 did not have the hard top when I got it. My son found one for sale near me for a really good price. It had the hardtop caddy and a shelf that I appears to go under the rear window. Remarkably it was the same color as my T-Bird. When the previous owner died, the car it belonged to was sold without the top. (I like to think they found each other again.) The thing is, I have never installed it, it just sits on the caddy in the garage. I do not have a helper person handy to help me wrangle it. I live near Houston, Texas and mostly drive it with the top down. In my opinion it is already quiet with the top up. In fact it is quiet enough with the top down that conversation is usually still comfortable at highway speed. I did see someone's post about making a sling and winch to store it in the garage above the car and lower it with one person. I scouted for the parts. I just have higher priority things to do. So, yes I am happy to have it. Maybe it will make a difference to the next (potential) owner, after I die.

I have an 04’ Tbird merlot w/light sand interior & soft-top in the St Louis ,Mo area. The 1st 2 years I owned the car my neighbor helped me position/install the hardtop-took about 15-20 min. But the last 2 winters in St Louis have been relatively mild & so never even installed the hardtop at all which I prefer. The Tbird looks awesome with or w/o the top. Only downside is the soft/top has more opportunity to accumulate dust, etc but I like the trade-0ff! PS-Meguiars or 303 convertible top products do a great job keeping top clean &/or repelling water/stains! Ken B
Dardenne Prairie, Mo

Thanks,
Bob
Bob. i do not have/want one for mu 02. Garage kept. Seems a pain to put on/remove/store. Do not drive it in Illinois winter.
Have owned other type convt. NEVER would have wanted hard top. Your call, but, who wants more STUFF TO STORE?

I am a brand new owner of a 2003, and we just drove it without the hard top yesterday. I don't see myself putting it back on. This will be a summer/sunny weather car for us. I am now looking for a hard top stand and a bag to store it. The car does look cool with the hard top on, but I doubt we'll be driving it like that, unless there's a need. I can se how having the hard top on may elicit a sense of security, but the Owner's Manual clearly states that it provides little to no protection in case of collision. As mentioned above, it'll probably fly off the car, if it's hit hard enough. I'm hoping it won't take passenger's and driver's heads off with it, if that happens.

Back