2002 - Traction control button is not responding

T
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
After years of dealing with illuminated dash warning lights, today marks a refreshing change – none are lit up? For the past three years, my ABS and Traction Control lights have been on, and more recently, the Check Engine light joined the ensemble. However, I finally addressed the issue today by replacing the front left speed sensor, and to my delight, all the lights, including the Check Engine light, vanished. Victory!

After the fix, I noticed the lack of response when pressing the traction control button. Ordinarily, toggling it off should illuminate the traction control dash light, but there's nothing happening. Could someone guide me through diagnostic steps for troubleshooting the traction control system?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

When you replaced the sensor, did you disconnect the battery? If not, have you disconnected the battery to reset everything?

Are you only relying on dash lights or are you using and OBDII reader? If so what codes are returned? Note, you will need an advanced OBDII reader like blue driver to read the ABS codes in the computer.

When you replaced the sensor, did you disconnect the battery? If not, have you disconnected the battery to reset everything?

Are you only relying on dash lights or are you using and OBDII reader? If so what codes are returned? Note, you will need an advanced OBDII reader like blue driver to read the ABS codes in the computer.
I disconnected the battery before replacing the speed sensor, so everything should have reset. Technically the ABS light stayed on upon restoring battery power, but as soon as I started driving the light went out.

I don't have scanner, so I'll need to get over to Advance Auto again for a fresh scan for codes.

Why not? They are not expensive, and you can do it yourself. It's not like you can only use it on one car. I don't trust the people at those stores to read codes. It's not any different than any other tool in your garage. The Blue Driver is what I use and it even gives detailed information about what is wrong and reads all the computers including ABS.

Why not? They are not expensive, and you can do it yourself. It's not like you can only use it on one car. I don't trust the people at those stores to read codes. It's not any different than any other tool in your garage. The Blue Driver is what I use and it even gives detailed information about what is wrong and reads all the computers including ABS.

I use one of those too (same brand) and it's an amazing tool. Very easy to use and you can point your mechanic to what the issue is. Because, sometimes, we have to go to those guys.

After years of dealing with illuminated dash warning lights, today marks a refreshing change – none are lit up? For the past three years, my ABS and Traction Control lights have been on, and more recently, the Check Engine light joined the ensemble. However, I finally addressed the issue today by replacing the front left speed sensor, and to my delight, all the lights, including the Check Engine light, vanished. Victory!

After the fix, I noticed the lack of response when pressing the traction control button. Ordinarily, toggling it off should illuminate the traction control dash light, but there's nothing happening. Could someone guide me through diagnostic steps for troubleshooting the traction control system?
I have a 2003 T-bird. After having some AC work done we noticed that the instrument cluster lights were not coming on (warning lights were were okay). I checked all the fuses and then went in and removed the instrument cluster and tested the bulbs (just fine), changed out the dimmer switch, etc. Turned out that the socket for the Traction switch and the dash illumination were a similar configuration and had been inadvertently switched after the AC repair. Everything worked fine after we put them back where they belonged.

Back