2002 Thunderbird Wiper's run continuously. | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2002 Thunderbird Wiper's run continuously.

• Thread starter Thread starter Angry Bird
  • Start date Start date
A

Angry Bird

Angry Bird's 64'
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
My windshield wipers will not turn off. I've determined that the turn signal arm, switch needs to be replaced..... problem is that I can't source a new one. A few used ones but may have the same problem. Anyone have a sourse?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

My windshield wipers will not turn off. I've determined that the turn signal arm, switch needs to be replaced..... problem is that I can't source a new one. A few used ones but may have the same problem. Anyone have a sourse?
Are you sure that the FEM is not at fault? Wipers are controlled by the FrontElectronicModule.

The wiper and washer systems are controlled by the front electronic module (FEM). The wiper/washer portion of the multifunction switch is hardwired to the FEM. When the switch is moved to the desired position, the FEM processes this information and outputs the appropriate command(s) to one of three relays. The relays control the wiper high and low motor speeds and washer pump actuation. Intermittent wiper speed control can vary dependent upon vehicle speed. This is accomplished by the FEM receiving vehicle speed information from the anti-lock brake control module and throttle position status from the powertrain control module (PCM). When the wiper switch is in any of the intermittent positions, the FEM will process the information from the PCM and anti-lock brake control module and decrease the wiper delay time as vehicle speed increases.

I have noticed that the washers also have ceased to function. With the switch turned off the wipers act as if on lowest intermittent mode. I'll check out FEM and go from there!

Thanks!

I have noticed that the washers also have ceased to function. With the switch turned off the wipers act as if on lowest intermittent mode. I'll check out FEM and go from there!

Thanks!
Do wipers go faster when turned on?

What you describe is caused by the FEM. I have a 2002 T Bird I use for a parts car. The wipers on this
car were working fine, and I removed the FEM to see why my dash lights were not working. While the
FEM was out of the car the wipers started wiping by them selves slowly until I reinstalled the FEM. Soon
as I put the FEM back, wipers started working correctly.

Are you sure that the FEM is not at fault? Wipers are controlled by the FrontElectronicModule.

The wiper and washer systems are controlled by the front electronic module (FEM). The wiper/washer portion of the multifunction switch is hardwired to the FEM. When the switch is moved to the desired position, the FEM processes this information and outputs the appropriate command(s) to one of three relays. The relays control the wiper high and low motor speeds and washer pump actuation. Intermittent wiper speed control can vary dependent upon vehicle speed. This is accomplished by the FEM receiving vehicle speed information from the anti-lock brake control module and throttle position status from the powertrain control module (PCM). When the wiper switch is in any of the intermittent positions, the FEM will process the information from the PCM and anti-lock brake control module and decrease the wiper delay time as vehicle speed increases.

...I can't speak to the 2002 model year (as they are different from subsequent model years), but the 2004 model's wiper/washer control has no input/output through the FEM. The later model year wiper motor has its own control module integrated into the wiper motor assembly...I believe this is the same for the all 2003-2005 models.

Back