2002 T-Bird AC

R
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have been told that I need a replacement complete HVAC unit. My "recirculator door" does not work, my "defrost door" doesn't work either. I need the full, complete box A/C & blower, everything. Further, I've found no FORD dealer has one and that no one has ever introduced an after-market unit. Any suggestions?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have been told that I need a replacement complete HVAC unit. My "recirculator door" does not work, my "defrost door" doesn't work either. I need the full, complete box A/C & blower, everything. Further, I've found no FORD dealer has one and that no one has ever introduced an after-market unit. Any suggestions?
I would be ware of a dealer who said you required complete unit. Here is my guess and it is ONLY my guess. The recirculator door, defrost door, are usually controlled by a small motorized unit. This is how most all fords made around that time work although this car started out from a Jaguar so there is a lot of English design especially in the 2002 so I don't know for sure. For you to need a complete system just doesn't make sense. That would mean a new compressor also. It sounds to me that you May have an electrical problem which is common in these cars. It could be as small as a fuse or at worst, the Front Electrical Module (FEM) which is the brains and controls most of the systems inside vehicle. I would look for another opinion from a reputable repair facility if you can find one.
I hope this helps and you get more opinions other than just mine.

I appreciate your reply. I feel lost when it comes to mechanical repairs. Thank you

I would be ware of a dealer who said you required complete unit. Here is my guess and it is ONLY my guess. The recirculator door, defrost door, are usually controlled by a small motorized unit. This is how most all fords made around that time work although this car started out from a Jaguar so there is a lot of English design especially in the 2002 so I don't know for sure. For you to need a complete system just doesn't make sense. That would mean a new compressor also. It sounds to me that you May have an electrical problem which is common in these cars. It could be as small as a fuse or at worst, the Front Electrical Module (FEM) which is the brains and controls most of the systems inside vehicle. I would look for another opinion from a reputable repair facility if you can find one.
I hope this helps and you get more opinions other than just mine.

I found out mine wasn't working on a very hot day. Took it to my Ford dealer and got a similar response as nothing was working. However, the first thing they did was recharge it and now all is well. Not saying this would help the original posters issue, but is sure worth a try.

Fortunately, my A/C hasn't completely died yet. In fact yesterday I turned the A/C off because the cockpit was too cold even tho it was in the mid 80's outside. I have been told by the shop that I took it to 2 weeks ago that my "recirculator door" as well as the "defrost door" are not operating. They would be glad to fix it, but can't find the parts. I've found a shop that is well experienced in finding parts that no longer exist. So, I sit back and wait. One highly recommended shop I talked to, after hearing my story, didn't even want to look at it. I've tried switching back and forth from heat to A/C and back again and I get results altho not as I used to. So, was the diagnosis incorrect? I can't tell. I greatly appreciate everyone's response. This is a great forum.

Back