2002 Squeaky Top & no dash lights | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2002 Squeaky Top & no dash lights

• Thread starter Thread starter Tumminelli
  • Start date Start date
T
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Hi, newbie here. Just bought a thunderbird blue 2002 last week. It is a central Florida car with 78k but looks showroom new. Just have 2 issues so far. The dash lights don't work behind the tack and speedo and the hardtop kind of squeeks a bit. We just drove it up to Pa. (Wife and I) from Florida and it ran perfect.
I need to send the front controll module out to be repaired ( that will fix the dash lights) but not sure what to do about the squeeks hardtop? Any suggestions? We just got back yesterday and I'm not planing on taking the top off for a couple of months. Thanks Paul

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Congratulations on your new Bird! I also have a 2002 Blue Bird with 84K miles. Check to make sure that your hardtop is tightly screwed into the front brackets and that the levers are correctly positioned behind the seats. That may help with the rattling.

Congratulations! I'm assuming you got it at Michael's. From the pictures, it looks to be in great shape. I just recently bought a 2005 blue Thunderbird with 73k in Tampa and brought it back to Orlando. I had looked at one identical to yours in Apopka (north Orlando) but it wasn't a good deal. Best of luck with it.

Welcome to the Third fellowship. Happy motoring. Squeaky top issue, I placed the chrome molding around the rear seal and it helped with my bird. Also, as FUN FUN1 said check to make sure levers and screws are tight and you should be good to go.

Congratulations! I'm assuming you got it at Michael's. From the pictures, it looks to be in great shape. I just recently bought a 2005 blue Thunderbird with 73k in Tampa and brought it back to Orlando. I had looked at one identical to yours in Apopka (north Orlando) but it wasn't a good deal. Best of luck with it.
Wow! How did you know I got it at Michaels?

Thanks for all the replies. Can’t wait to get her on the road ( we have snow here). I’ll check to see if the top is tight. Paul.

I've edited your title to something relevant to your post.

One final tip, tightening the screws is an on going task. After you have driven it for some time you will have to keep checking the screws because they somehow loosen after some time. It may have something with the weight of the top shifting slightly due to cornering, turns, rough roads etc. Just a tip to consider.

Wow! How did you know I got it at Michaels?
As i mentioned, I live outside Orlando. After attending the Mecum auction in Kissimmee this year and being constantly drawn to the 12 Thunderbirds I kept seeing, I decided to get one for myself. The first one I looked at was identical to yours at Mullinax Ford in Apopka. It had 60k and they were asking $13,750. It washed out due to check engine light and overheating on the test drive, no top removal tool, cracked lower dash panel and Borla exhaust system. After that, my focus shifted to three different 2005 Medium Steel Blue cars. The dealership and sales person kept contacting me, so I used the listing for your car to point out how they were over priced.

Sorry about your weather though. I grew up outside Valley Forge, but moved to Florida at my first chance. So far I've had almost 2 months with the top down and am totally loving it. Enjoy when spring gets there.

I managed to get mine for 11,400 which was at the top level for me now. I think I got a really nice one for the money. I looked at a couple of other ones but the interiors just had too much ware. This was a 2 owner car and was really taken car of plus we loved the color. Also I definitely wanted a hardtop.

My next question is there anyway to fold the boot to fit it in that little pocket in the trunk without creasing it perminately. It came to me wrapped in a plastic bag (kept flat and never folded). I'm kind of fussy and like to put the boot on when the top is down but don't want to crease it permanately. Any thoughts? By the way we are about 1/2 hour from Valley Forge. In Media, pa.

I managed to get mine for 11,400 which was at the top level for me now. I think I got a really nice one for the money. I looked at a couple of other ones but the interiors just had too much ware. This was a 2 owner car and was really taken car of plus we loved the color. Also I definitely wanted a hardtop.

My next question is there anyway to fold the boot to fit it in that little pocket in the trunk without creasing it perminately. It came to me wrapped in a plastic bag (kept flat and never folded). I'm kind of fussy and like to put the boot on when the top is down but don't want to crease it permanately. Any thoughts? By the way we are about 1/2 hour from Valley Forge. In Media, pa.
Folding it won't hurt it.

I have a 2002 and you can only fold the boot in half..it rally doesn’t fit in that small area all the way in the back of the trunk.. or I should say a small part about 1/4 will find in that space.. the other 3/4 will take up a lot of the trunk.. I understand that the 2003-05 the boot is soft and I understand more foldable than the 2002.. I usually fold mine in half and store it in the trunk all winter.. When the good weather comes I will lay mine on a table and put some weight on the crease to flatten it back out.. When the hard top comes off in May usually the soft top stays down and I put the boot on for the summer..

Enjoy your sweet ride..

I agree completely. I got mine for $11,000. Since it was a secondary car and not really necessary, I didn't want to go overboard on my first attempt. I also got a two owner car that was in great shape, only blemishes were an old dealer sticker in the center of the bumper and bad curb rash on one wheel (already replaced). I also wanted the hardtop, though it's a bit of a pain to store, as well as a body color soft top. I've read a number of posts where 2002 owners have bought newer boot covers. After having experienced both, I would definitely recommend doing that. The one on my 2005 fits like a glove, looks terrific, and fits in the storage space. Since you're in Media, I'll let you know I grew up in Fairview Village, at what used to be the intersection of 426 & 363 before the Blue route came along. It really is a smaller world than you think. Enjoy.IMG_20190206_090731215.jpg IMG_20190206_090742552.jpg IMG_20190206_090751655.jpg

Just sent off my front module. That will correct my non working dash lights. A guy in Mi. Rebuilds them for $208. When I bought the car I don't think they knew they didn't work because it was daytime. I found out a couple days later when I drove at night. I called Michael's and they reinbersed me the money. Got to tell you it was a little tight getting it out. Took me a couple of hours. I don't mind I like playing with cars, just not up on all this modern stuff. I'm more of a Chevy guy, but always loved the old birds. Starting to love the new ones just as much. Your boot looks great! Thaler care, Paul.

One final tip, tightening the screws is an on going task. After you have driven it for some time you will have to keep checking the screws because they somehow loosen after some time. It may have something with the weight of the top shifting slightly due to cornering, turns, rough roads etc. Just a tip to consider.

Can you over tighten the hardtop screw? Mine still have some play in it and not tight where it doesn’t turn any more. I’m afraid to keep tightening it.

Pa
Just sent off my front module. That will correct my non working dash lights. A guy in Mi. Rebuilds them for $208. When I bought the car I don't think they knew they didn't work because it was daytime. I found out a couple days later when I drove at night. I called Michael's and they reinbersed me the money. Got to tell you it was a little tight getting it out. Took me a couple of hours. I don't mind I like playing with cars, just not up on all this modern stuff. I'm more of a Chevy guy, but always loved the old birds. Starting to love the new ones just as much. Your boot looks great! Thaler care, Paul.
Paul,

Dan Smith recently posted that he has two boot covers, as follows "have one real.nice used one in black dot $175.00 and a New never used one for$250.00
Dan 859 248 0300". This was in the parts for sale forum.

Back