1. Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here.

Click the "X" to the right to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice

2002 Radio Problem Help Needed

Discussion in '2002 - 2005 Ford Thunderbird' started by Fastcars, Aug 22, 2016.

1. 2002 model the radio plays and then goes to auto mute? If I push the tuner button it will play again and then go back to auto mute. Is something turned on? Could something in the steering wheel cause this?

2. tbird

tbird Super Moderator Staff Member

3. My cd player was messing about so I removed it entirely and fitted a basic cheap new one from walmart that is a tuner with inputs for sd cards, usb sticks and mp3 players, a lot easier I just can't use the steering wheel controls with it but no real loss.

4. KCsBird

KCsBird New Member Gold Donor

Fastcars...my 2002 steering wheel controls for volume did not work properly until the clockspring was replaced, never tried or had trouble with the mute though.

tbird likes this.
  5. tbird

What trouble did you have?

6. JW in Dixie

JW in Dixie Well-Known Member Lifetime Donor

I know what a clockspring in an old windup clock, but what is a clockspring in a Tbird and where is it located? Played with the radio a little more and found that sometimes the knob controls the vol and sometimes not. Must be a problem in the knob control. ?? Back in the old days I knew how to clean rheostats but now I have not a clue! Thx

7. tbird

It's part of the airbag system in the steering wheel. Google it.

8. Where can you find an '04 replacement clock-spring for a descent price? The part was discontinued and the cheapest I've been able to find is around $330 (materials only).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
  9. JW in Dixie

JW in Dixie Well-Known Member Lifetime Donor

More on my problem - when the radio is on the clock-spring controls work fine, but if I just TOUCH the knob it goes to max volume. Have to kill pwr and restart - works fine again. Problem has to be the rheostat, or whatever the heck they use these days. I just don't touch the knob and enjoy tunes! Good luck, Blaine

10. same issue here. to avoid i use only the steering wheel volume control eventually going to replace with more up to date stereo

11. April 2017 (last year barely) I totally upgraded the stereo system in my 2002 TBird with a unit from walmart that works really well plus has wires to attach so steering wheel controls work. The unit has a tuner, media card inputs, usb stick input plus navigation, back up camera input and (if you really want it) dvd player.

My full story on how it went in is here on this forum, hope it helps someone.

https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...-thunderbird-works-with-all-the-systems.5199/

Help us by sharing/liking this page below and G+

Shop Amazon.comPlease shop Amazon.com using this link to support the forum!