2002 Radio Problem Help Needed

F
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
2002 model the radio plays and then goes to auto mute? If I push the tuner button it will play again and then go back to auto mute. Is something turned on? Could something in the steering wheel cause this?

2002 model the radio plays and then goes to auto mute? If I push the tuner button it will play again and then go back to auto mute. Is something turned on? Could something in the steering wheel cause this?
Fastcars...my 2002 steering wheel controls for volume did not work properly until the clockspring was replaced, never tried or had trouble with the mute though.

Fastcars...my 2002 steering wheel controls for volume did not work properly until the clockspring was replaced, never tried or had trouble with the mute though.

I know what a clockspring in an old windup clock, but what is a clockspring in a Tbird and where is it located? Played with the radio a little more and found that sometimes the knob controls the vol and sometimes not. Must be a problem in the knob control. ?? Back in the old days I knew how to clean rheostats but now I have not a clue! Thx

It's part of the airbag system in the steering wheel. Google it.

Where can you find an '04 replacement clock-spring for a descent price? The part was discontinued and the cheapest I've been able to find is around $330 (materials only).

Last edited by a moderator:
More on my problem - when the radio is on the clock-spring controls work fine, but if I just TOUCH the knob it goes to max volume. Have to kill pwr and restart - works fine again. Problem has to be the rheostat, or whatever the heck they use these days. I just don't touch the knob and enjoy tunes! Good luck, Blaine

More on my problem - when the radio is on the clock-spring controls work fine, but if I just TOUCH the knob it goes to max volume. Have to kill pwr and restart - works fine again. Problem has to be the rheostat, or whatever the heck they use these days. I just don't touch the knob and enjoy tunes! Good luck, Blaine
same issue here. to avoid i use only the steering wheel volume control eventually going to replace with more up to date stereo

The radio that goes into auto Mute, does the display show Mute, if so I would think the
round snap disc under the Mute button may be flat, or Mute button on steering wheel
may be sticky.

The user with the touchy volume control, fix is somewhat easy but you have to remove radio
from dash, open top cover of radio and spray contact cleaner into volume control. Deoxit is
the best contact cleaner around. See picture.deoxit.jpg

Where can you find an '04 replacement clock-spring for a descent price? The part was discontinued and the cheapest I've been able to find is around $330 (materials only).
I replaced my clock spring earlier this year, bought one on ebay and was perfect fit, and works like new.clockspring.JPG

New clock spring was $177.00 delivered.

The radio that goes into auto Mute, does the display show Mute, if so I would think the
round snap disc under the Mute button may be flat, or Mute button on steering wheel
may be sticky.

The user with the touchy volume control, fix is somewhat easy but you have to remove radio
from dash, open top cover of radio and spray contact cleaner into volume control. Deoxit is
the best contact cleaner around. See picture.View attachment 2916

Thanks, I thought that would be the cure - but, how do you remove the outer panel or is the radio attached to the panel?
Ie, how do I remove the radio? Thanks

On the 02 first remove the curve plastic panel that joins the center stack to the shift console. Careful! it is just held in place with plastic tabs. On the 03-05 this panel is the heated seat switch panel.
Then you will see the necessary hardware to remove next to lower the climate control head down out of the way. Nothing to disconnect just let it lower itself out of the way.
Next gently remove the upper stack vent cover, it pulls away from the dash. It too is held in-place with plastic tabs so again gently is the KEY word. With this out of the upper stack you will see the remaining hardware that needs to be removed to slide the radio out. There is just barely enough slack in the harnesses to bring the radio out to get your hand back behind it to undo the radio connectors. The connectors are all different in shape & size so you can't get them mixed up if you should unplug them all.
Have fun!

Back